On this day in 1985, the Knicks won the first ever draft lottery, enabling them to select center Patrick Ewing out of Georgetown. This not only gave birth to a new era of Knicks basketball, but to one of the biggest conspiracy theories in sports. Some wondered if the NBA fixed the lottery in order to steer the top talent in the draft to the league's premier market. Was the Knicks' envelope frozen prior to being placed in the drum? Or was the envelope just bent slightly at the corner? Earlier this year, Charles Barkley proved that lottery conspiracy theories are alive and well as he suggested that the Brooklyn Nets could be in line for the top pick in this year's draft.
Do you have a great blog piece that you think we should feature in Hoops Links? If so, send me an email at [email protected]. I swear, I won't give preference to the bigger, more profitable blogs. This week's links..
- Blazers Edge doesn't think that the Trail Blazers need an elite one-guard to contend.
- The Basketball Post isn't sure how the Knicks are going to build around their core.
- Bucksketball says that it was a tough year for Carlos Delfino on defense.
- NBA Dimensions doesn't see a bright future in New York.
- Bullets Forever looks at potential trades around the league for the Wizards.
- Red94 is happy for Lakers big man Jordan Hill.
- NBA 24 7 365 breaks down Chris Paul in the fourth quarter.
- RealGM spoke with Orlando Johnson of UCSB.
- Valley Of The Suns reflects on Phoenix's season with advanced stats.
- Cowbell Kingdom evaluates Tyreke Evans' 2011/12 campaign.
- NBA Draft Blog caught up with Old Dominion's Kent Bazemore.
- Hornets 24 7 identified the safest prospects in the 2012 draft.
- Rufus On Fire cranked up the tunes for a Bobcats year end retrospective.
- Hoopinion didn't like what they saw out of the Hawks in Game 6.
- Swish Appeal looks at the New York Liberty's first-round pick.
- Brew Hoop doesn't want the Bucks to overpay for Ersan Ilyasova.
- Raptors Republic hopes to see Steve Nash come north of the border this summer.
- A Stern Warning misses the NBA of twenty years ago.
- SB Nation reflects on the Knicks' season with a look at New York Post back pages.
- Truth About It grades JaVale McGee's season in Washington.
- Piston Powered is intrigued by French forward Evan Fournier.
- Queen City Hoops gives their report card on Derrick Brown.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.