The Rockets appeared earlier today to be on the cusp of a deal involving Samuel Dalembert and the 16th pick, but multiple reports deny that a deal is imminent. There's plenty to suggest the Rockets will be active one way or another, including a report from Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston indicating the team will look to retain Goran Dragic, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger and Marcus Camby.
- The Rockets continue to try to package their two-first round picks, at No 14 and No. 16 to move up, says Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. Failing that, they'd like to trade one of the picks for a future first-rounder.
- GM Daryl Morey, who spoke to media members Thursday, wants to re-sign Goran Dragic quickly, as Berman notes. "My sense is that we will get it done early," Morey said. "That's our hope."
- The team will match any offer for Lee, a restricted free agent, Berman reports. The Rockets must first extend a one-year, $3,221,934 qualifying offer by June 30th to retain the right of first refusal, and Berman says the team will do so.
- Budinger's contract isn't guaranteed if he's waived before the start of the season, but the Rockets will bring him back, according to Berman. Budinger's price tag for 2012/13 is $942,293, Berman says, but other outlets, including Storytellers Contracts and Sham Sports, have the value at $885,120.
- Berman says the team will also try to re-sign Camby, an unrestricted free agent. Bringing back another veteran center would seem to indicate there's truth to the idea the Rockets are shopping Dalembert, particularly if the team drafts a big man next week.
- Jason Friedman of Rockets.com rounded up Morey's comments, including the GM's feeling that the draft includes "at least 16 guys we think are solid picks." The Rockets hold the 14th and the 16th selections.
- Morey also says the team plans to sign Donatas Motiejunas as soon as they're allowed. Motiejunas, the 20th pick in last year's draft, played last season in Poland. The Rockets recently received the go-ahead from the NBA to sign the 7'0" Lithuanian as early as July 1 so they can get FIBA clearance in time for him to play in the summer league.