The first day of free agency was a busy one on the Dwight Howard front, as reports suggested D12 was upset with the Magic and that Orlando was discussing potential trades with the Lakers, Nets, and Rockets. Howard denied saying that the Magic "blackmailed" him and told Jarrod Rudolph of RealGM.com that he was tired of hearing reports cite unnamed sources when discussing his situation, but also said he'd only re-sign with one team if he were traded — presumably the Nets. We'll track the latest on Howard throughout the day, with the latest updates on top of the page:
- The Mavs' offer for Howard could include some combination of Rodrigue Beaubois, Vince Carter, Dominique Jones and Brandan Wright, Jared Cunningham, Bernard James and Jae Crowder, plus draft picks and a sign-and-trade of Ian Mahinmi, a source tells Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Ric Bucher of ESPN.com hears the Nets are not out of the running for Howard, with the Mavs and Nets sharing space atop the big man's wish list (Twitter link).
- With the Nets likely no longer an option for Howard, the Mavs have replaced Brooklyn as D12's single preferred destination, tweets Ric Bucher of ESPN.com.
- The Nets would have preferred to deal for Howard instead of Joe Johnson, ESPN's Chris Broussard says, but the Magic were unwilling trade partners. Howard's decision to opt in with the Magic in March scuttled any chance of him going to the Nets, a source tells Broussard (Twitter links).
- Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld points out the Nets could still acquire Howard by doing a sign-and-trade that sends Brook Lopez to Orlando (Twitter link). However, as Al Iannazzone of Newsday tweets, the Magic hasn't wanted Lopez.
- In spite of Howard's request to be traded to Brooklyn, there's no Nets deal that interests the Magic, tweets TNT's David Aldridge.
- Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com tweets that the Warriors have "been there, done that" regarding Howard trade talks, and suggests there's nothing going on now.
- A source tells SI.com's Sam Amick that there's no chance Howard is traded to the Clippers if the Magic ask for Chris Paul or Blake Griffin, which of course they would.
- Magic GM Rob Hennigan confirmed today that Howard asked to be traded and prefers the Nets, tweets David Baumann of BHSN and News 13. According to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel (Twitter link), Hennigan said teams have shown "significant" interest in Howard, but talks are still preliminary.
- David Pingalore of WKMG Orlando adds the Sixers to the list of teams that have discussed a possible Howard trade with the Magic.
- The Warriors are still willing to trade for Howard even with no assurances that he'd re-sign, tweets ESPN.com's Chris Broussard.
- The Nets are determined not to "wait around" for a Howard deal to materialize, says Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. As Berger writes, both the Nets and Rockets appear to be moving forward with alternate plans.
- Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld adds the Clippers to the list of team that have expressed interest in Howard. According to Kyler, the Magic will likely look to deal Howard quickly, though there is no internal rush to make a bad deal.