Chris Haynes from CSNNW.com has confirmed that the Timberwolves offered Derrick Williams and two first round picks in exchange for Nicolas Batum earlier this summer. Portland, obviously, turned the deal down. (Twitter link). Batum has signed an offer sheet that was given to him by Minnesota, but Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey has repeatedly said he would match it before the Wednesday night deadline, sending him back to Portland on a four-year, $46.5MM deal.
- After tearing his left meniscus during a Team USA practise last Wednesday, Blake Griffin was forced to remove himself from the Olympic games. The Clippers forward had successful surgery today, and is still expected to be ready in time for training camp, tweets Yahoo! Sports columnist Marc J. Spears.
- The Nuggets are considering using their amnesty provision on forward Chris Andersen, tweets Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times. Andersen has two years and $9MM left on his deal.
- The Hornets have shown an interest in signing free agent center Ryan Hollins, tweets SI.com's Sam Amick. Hollins split his time last season with both the Cavaliers and Celtics.
- Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times has a few Bucks related tidbits to share. A few teams have interest in the team's unrestricted free agent guard Carlos Delfino, including the Hawks. (Twitter link). Also, the Bucks could be in the market for free agent center Joel Przybilla. (Twitter link).
- After fracturing a bone in his right hand during Summer League practice on Saturday, Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving will undergo surgery on Wednesday in Cleveland, effectively ending all his basketball playing activity for the rest of summer. The former number one pick and reigning Rookie of the Year is expected to make a full recovery in time for training camp, tweets Yahoo! Sports columnist Marc J. Spears.
- Former Knicks and Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni has not been contacted by the Trail Blazers to fill their head coaching position, tweets The Oregonian's Jason Quick.
- The Bobcats might use their amnesty on DeSagana Diop, tweets ESPN.com's Marc Stein.
- The Nets are expected to re-sign Keith Bogans, tweets the New York Daily News' Frank Isola
- The Trail Blazers search for a head coach has begun to heat up: Suns assistant Elston Turner (twitter link), former Knicks assistant Phil Weber (twitter link), and Hawks assistant Lester Conner (twitter link) have all been linked to the position.
- NBA Agent Happy Walters' Rogue Sports acquires SFX Baseball and NFL-agency Maximum Sports to form Relatively Sports, tweets Yahoo! Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski.
- Hawks forward Josh Smith is excited about the new direction his team appears to be headed, writes Hoopsworld.com reporter Alex Kennedy. Also from Kennedy, talks between the Nuggets and JaVale McGee are progressing, as both parties appear only to be speaking with one another.
- According to the Bay Area News Group's Marcus Thompson, Anthony Randolph would like to return to the Warriors. (Sulia link)