Clippers, Del Negro Have Talked Extension

September 26 2012 at 11:32pm CDT By Chuck Myron

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro says he and the team have had "a little bit" of discussion about a contract extension, but feels there's "no sense of urgency for either side" to complete a deal soon, Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times reports. The team picked up Del Negro's option for 2012/13 in May, ending a year full of speculation that he could be on his way out of L.A. despite the team's newfound success.

Del Negro will make about $2MM this season in the final year of his contract, Turner writes. There was reportedly internal discussion about letting him go last season when the team hit the skids after a fast start, but the team finished just one game shy of the Lakers for the Pacific Division title and made it to the conference semifinals. Still, there were rumors that Neil Olshey, then GM of the team, was undecided about bringing Del Negro back just days before the Clippers exercised his option in May. 

When Olshey jumped to the Blazers the next month, Del Negro became one of three people in charge of the Clippers front office, and he maintains a voice even after Gary Sacks earned a promotion to vice president of basketball operations, essentially filling the role of GM. Del Negro acknowleged the pressure he's under, and said he embraces it, Turner writes.

"Of course, I wish it was under maybe a different situation," the coach said. "But I was on a one-year deal last year and I'm still here and enjoying myself and believe in what we're doing. I think all those things work themselves out over time."

blog comments powered by Disqus