On this date in 1976, the Philadelphia 76ers made the best purchase since Peter Minuit bought the island of Manhattan for $24. The New Jersey Nets were set to join the NBA as a part of the ABA merger and had promised star Julius Erving a pay raise as they made the transition. However, the Knicks demanded $4.8MM in territorial fees, meaning that owner Roy Boe could no longer afford the pay bump for his star player. The Sixers seized the opportunity and when they offered the Nets $3MM for Dr. J's contract, they had no choice but to accept.
Great deals like that are hard to come by, but here at Hoops Links, we have a pretty good offer of our own for quality basketball bloggers. If you have a great piece that you feel is worthy of inclusion, then you can email it to me at [email protected] and be a part of next week's feature. Here's this week's look around the blogosphere..
- Bucksketball has an interesting take on the Brandon Jennings situation.
- Wages of Wins has some bad news about the Spurs.
- Truth About It isn't sweating the preseason too much.
- The NBA Geek attempts to simplify the game a bit.
- SLC Dunk runs down their reasons for loving the Jazz.
- Raptors Republic wonders if Toronto should run with two point guard units.
- Basketball Prospectus explains the SCHOENE system in detail.
- Hoops Addict sees a big opportunity for John Lucas III.
- At The Hive wonders if Darius Miller can contribute this year.
- Bright Side Of The Sun has high hopes for the Suns' wing players.
- Canis Hoopus thinks that Andrei Kirilenko can be a nice complement to Kevin Love.
- Saving The Skyhook believes that Russell Westbrook is just outside the top 10 in the NBA.
- Secret Rival updates us on training camp rosters.
- Fear The Sword has some concerns over Dion Waiters.
- Brew Hoop sees the Bucks in the playoff mix this year.
- Hardwood Paroxysm peers into the future of basketball stats.
- NBA 24 7 365 expects more out of eight players this year.
- RealGM has five teams for you to watch on League Pass.
- Basketbawful breaks down Shaquille O'Neal's smack talk.
- Bullets Forever is anxious to see Kevin Seraphin this season.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.