The latest news and notes around the Western Conference on Friday evening:
- Robert Silverman of the New York Times wonders what sort of return the Lakers could get if they decided to trade Pau Gasol.
- Nicole Auerbach of USA Today has a feature on Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard and the impact he is having on other players hoping to make it to the NBA from mid-major schools.
- HoopsWorld.com's Bill Ingram thinks it's too early for the Timberwolves to give up on Derrick Williams.
- Ingram also thinks the Mavericks will be able to get a couple more high-level seasons out of Dirk Nowitzki.
- John Reid of the Times-Picayune writes that Hornets coach Monty Williams is urging guard Brian Roberts to shoot more.