This past week, the Heat lost to the Wizards (!), Pau Gasol dominated headlines with the trade talk surrounding him in Los Angeles, and the Knicks won their fifth-straight game as they get set to take on Chicago tonight. However, the biggest attention getters in the Association this week were the 5-13 New Orleans Hornets, who are reportedly pushing to change their team nickname to the Pelicans. Fans rushed to Twitter and seemingly every other corner of the internet to mock the proposal, including the club's hometown fans who reside in the Pelican State.
The reaction to the proposed idea brought to mind another name change that nearly took place in the mid-90s. The New Jersey Nets, struggling with attendance and a fan base that seemed to care infinitely more about the cross-river Knicks, pushed to change their nickname to the Swamp Dragons. Think that's bad? Check out the logo that they wanted to run with. I'm not sure what I like better – the dinosaur or the Microsoft Word Joker font that would have accompanied it.
Andy Vasquez of the Bergen Record ran down the particulars of the name change that almost was earlier this year and the folks over at NetsDaily dug up pictures of the proposed alternate logos and a central element of the proposed uniforms. So, listen, the name Pelicans may not roll off the tongue for some of you, but please keep in mind that it could be worse. A lot worse.
This week's edition of Hoops Links has more on the Hornets' possible re-branding and much more from around the Association. If you have a great blog piece that you think we should feature next week, then send it to me at [email protected]. Here's this week's look around the blogosphere..
- Know Hitter explains why Adam Morrison isn't one of the biggest busts in draft history.
- Stepien Rules puts Anderson Varejao's play in perspective
- Red94 sings the praises of James Harden.
- SLC Dunk looks at trade possibilities for the Jazz.
- Pounding The Rock wonders what the price for Varejao might be.
- Celtics Life defends Danny Ainge.
- The Basketball Post talks Real Madrid.
- Blog A Bull rolled out their latest episode of the Bulls Show.
- HoopTalent previews the Big Ten.
- Hardwood Paroxysm goes into the paint with J.O. Applegate.
- Rufus On Fire examines Ramon Sessions.
- NBA 24 7 365 remembers their favorite Kobe Bryant moment.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.