While there's been plenty of talk about the cap space the Rockets are expected to have this summer, coach Kevin McHale is just hoping to see that space turned into an impact player, as he jokes to Sam Amick of USA Today.
"I've never seen Cap Room score a basket yet though," McHale said. "I've seen old Cap, and his last name is Room, I've yet to see him put a hoop in, haven't seen him block a shot, haven't seen him get a rebound yet. But when Cap Room starts putting up numbers, we should be in great shape."
Here are a few more notes out of the Western Conference as we prepare for All-Star weekend:
- LaMarcus Aldridge doesn't expect the Trail Blazers to make a move at the trade deadline, as he tells Ben Golliver of Blazer's Edge (Twitter link).
- With expansion not currently being considered by David Stern and the league, it appears unlikely that Sacramento and Seattle will both have an NBA team in the near future, writes Ryan Lillis of the Sacramento Bee.
- Former SuperSonic great Gary Payton tells Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com that he has spoken to Chris Hansen about joining the front office if Hansen's bid to move the Kings to Seattle if successful.
- Another former star, Charles Barkley, has talked about wanting to be hired as the general manager of the Suns, and Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic thinks that might not be a bad idea.
- Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News writes that Darren Collison has made a solid case for being a long-term fixture with the Mavericks.