This week 48 years ago, Willis Reed was named the NBA Rookie of the Year, giving the Knicks their first individual award in franchise history. Reed, of course, would only grow from there and became the heart and soul of the Knicks' greatest teams on his way to a Hall of Fame career. The big man's most iconic moment came in Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals when he limped out of the tunnel at Madison Square Garden despite an incredibly painful thigh injury and knocked down his first two shots to start the game. Even though you've seen the clip no less than 100 times, I dare you to watch it again on YouTube and not get goosebumps.
Reed also made an impact on the opposite side of the river with the Nets once his playing career was through, first as coach then as General Manager. During his tenure as GM, Reed selected Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson in back-to-back drafts and landed the underutilized Drazen Petrovic from the Blazers via trade.
Got a fantastic basketball blog piece that you want featured on Hoops Rumors? Send your submissions to [email protected] Here's this week's look around the web..
- The Brooklyn Game counts down the best Nets of all-time, starting with Mookie Blaylock.
- Kingdome Of Seattle Sports gives us some perspective on the Sonics situation.
- Dime Magazine introduces you to Dwayne Wade's secret to success.
- Bleed Green talks Jeff Green.
- HSB Camps praises the efficiency of Marcus Thornton.
- Hoops Addict says the Raptors have to finish strong.
- The Basketball Post is high on Florida as the NCAA tourney gets underway.
- Bucksketball marvels over Monta Ellis.
- Hardwood Paroxysm talks Blazers as one of their top scribes moves on.
- Red94 sat down with the author of "After Artest".
- Rufus On Fire asks if the Bobcats offense is evolving.
- Orlando Pinstriped Post says the Magic are the NBA's least athletic team.
- Blog A Bull defines the Bulls' problems.
- Life On Dumars conducted a roundtable.
- Pounding The Rock says that Tim Duncan is the DPOY.
- SLC Dunk debates which Jazz big man should stay.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.