Six days after the Spurs lost Game 7 in Miami, San Antonio GM R.C. Buford publicly discussed the team's offseason today, addressing free-agents-to-be, option decisions, and the next steps for the club. Dan McCarney of the San Antonio Express-News has the details and the quotes from Buford, so let's round up the best of his piece:
- Manu Ginobili has indicated that he has no desire to play for another NBA team, and that feeling appears to be mutual. "I think all of our hopes are that Manu finishes his career in San Antonio," Buford said.
- Buford appeared less certain about restricted free agent Tiago Splitter, who the Spurs would like to bring back, but who figures to draw more interest on the open market. "Until we know what the market says, and how that impacts our planning for the future," Buford said. "You can’t answer with incomplete information."
- The team has yet to receive word from Boris Diaw on whether he'll exercise his $4.7MM player option, though I'd expect him to pick that up at some point this week.
- Until the Spurs resolve the situations with their own free agents, Buford isn't prepared to say whether or not the team will have the opportunity to pursue outside free agents. "There’s a lot of guys (we like)," Buford said. "You just don’t know if you can afford them."
- With the 28th and 58th picks in the draft, Buford suggested that the team isn't going into Thursday night with a specific plan on whether to draft for immediate impact or long-term potential. "You don’t know until you get to your pick what’s available," Buford said.