Last night, Kobe Bryant sat down for a chat with Jimmy Kimmel in Los Angeles for an AXS TV special titled "Kobe Up Close". Here's a look at Bryant's candid interview from the Nokia Theatre..
- Bryant was asked if he's certain that he'll be a Laker for life and he responded in the affirmative, tweets Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld. Of course, Kobe will be a free agent following the 2014 season, but it doesn't sound as though the Lakers star plans on making a big change next summer.
- Chris Paul personally called Bryant to inform him that the proposed deal to send him to the other Los Angeles team was squashed by the league office, tweets Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. Paul began the phone call by exclaiming, "Man, you won't believe it!"
- Kimmel asked Kobe if Paul should be a Laker today. Bryant responded, "Legally speaking, yes. David Stern speaking? No," tweets Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
- When asked if he could have one former teammate return, Bryant said that it would be Derek Fisher because "that's my guy," tweets McMenamin. The veteran guard re-signed with the Thunder back in July.
- Bryant acknowledged that he might not be ready for the season opener, according to the AP.
- Kimmel asked Bryant if he'd be interested in owning a team after retirement and the guard inferred that he'd like to own a piece of the Lakers, tweets Shelburne.
- Lakers assistant Mark Madsen told Kennedy (Twitter link) that offseason additions Jordan Farmar, Nick Young, and Wesley Johnson have already begun working out in the L.A. gym this summer. The former-player-turned-coach is impressed to see the newest members of the club taking initiative.