Agent Jeff Fried sure sounded like he wouldn't be working with Monta Ellis anymore when news broke in July that the two were parting ways, as Fried was quoted giving his well-wishes to Ellis and his family. Fried now says those reports were incorrect, telling Shams Charania of RealGM.com that he and Ellis are "together for a lifetime." Fried, of the Peake Management Group, and Happy Walters of Relativity Sports are sharing representation duties for Ellis, according to Charania. We've duly noted the unusual arrangement in the Hoops Rumors Agency Database. Here's more from around the Association:
- The Pacers' lease at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis doesn't expire until 2019, but the head of the city agency in charge of managing the arena says it's likely that by the end of the year there will be a new deal that will keep the team in Indy even longer. Jon Murray of the Indianapolis Star has the details.
- Veteran center Chris Wilcox remains without a team, and he tells Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe that he's still wearing a cast from surgery this summer to repair torn ligaments in his right thumb that he suffered while playing for the Celtics last season (Twitter link).
- Former Nets center Jordan Williams has signed with Bilbao Basket of Spain, the team announced on Twitter (translation via Emiliano Carchia of Sportando).
- Stan Van Gundy talks Dwight Howard, identifies Mike D'Antoni as the most innovative coach in the league, and provides insight on the roster construction of his best teams with the Magic in a Q&A with Ethan Sherwood Strauss of ESPN.com.
- The Celtics would be well-advised to shop Rajon Rondo in advance of the trade deadline this year, but Rondo can do plenty to up his value if he displays maturity and leadership this season, HoopsWorld's Moke Hamilton opines.
- In an updated version of his story on the Timberwolves' hiring of Milt Newton and Bobby Jackson, Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press notes that the team will promote assistant GM Rob Babcock to vice president of basketball operations.