According to 76ers owner Josh Harris, a full-scale implosion of the roster was always the plan in Philadelphia, but it was delayed in part due to the club's success in 2011/12 (link via Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News).
"When I first bought the team, there were elements of the decision-making that I noticed weren't how I would have done it," Harris said. "But at the same time we did so well that first season ('11/12) that I chose to stick with the plan. The second season was a big disappointment and that made me feel empowered that it was the right time to make a bunch of changes. I've always had the same vision, but I took it a little more slowly given the success of the first season."
As the new-look Sixers prepare to get their training camp underway, let's take a look around the rest of the Atlantic Division….
- In a press conference in Toronto, the NBA and the Raptors officially announced that the city will be hosting the 2016 All-Star Game. The Toronto Sun first reported the story last week.
- There are no quick fixes on the way for the Celtics, but the importance of this developmental stage for the team shouldn't be undersold, writes Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
- Danny Ainge's phone remains "active," but the Celtics GM is looking forward to seeing which of the club's current players stand out, as he tells Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald. "I wouldn’t say this is a perfect mesh of players, but I would like to see how they play together, and win jobs and opportunities, and just how players fit our system and Brad [Stevens]’ style of play," Ainge said. "I like the competitiveness in camp, and I also like the team because there are so many questions to be answered, so many unknowns."
- NetsDaily passes along a report out of Turkey indicating that Bojan Bogdanovic has rejected a contract extension offer from Fenerbahce. If Bogdanovic doesn't ink a new deal, he'd be a free agent next summer, meaning there's a decent chance the Nets' 2011 second-rounder could come stateside.
- Earlier today, we learned that the Knicks exercised Mike Woodson's 2014/15 contract option and that the Nets have signed Marko Jaric to a camp deal.