The Lakers revealed on Monday that point guard Steve Nash will be sidelined for at least the next two weeks with nerve root irritation in his back, leaving the team with just Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar at the point. While the Lakers don’t necessarily have to make a move to deal with Nash’s absence, rival executives tell Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio that they expect to hear from GM Mitch Kupchak.
“It’s not like Mitch to sit and do nothing,” one executive said to Amico. “I’d be really surprised if that’s his course.”
Although it’s possible that Nash could return by December, his ongoing health issues at age 39 will likely give the Lakers pause. The club is also waiting on the return of 35-year-old Kobe Bryant, and had been playing Blake at the two during Kobe’s absence. As Amico notes, Blake figures to see more minutes at point guard while Nash recovers.
Having traded away multiple future draft picks and without a ton of young players under contract, it’s not clear whether the Lakers have the assets to swing a trade. Execs who spoke to Amico indicated that they hadn’t heard from Kupchak as of late Monday, but most expected that to change shortly.
“We have a good idea which players (on the roster) he’ll ask about,” one GM said. “We’re already preparing counter offers.”