With the big news of the resignation of Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni, the rumors are already beginning as to who his replacement will be. Ben Higgins of San Diego’s Channel 10 News (Twitter link) is reporting that Steve Kerr said he would be interested in speaking to the team about the now vacant position.
More from Los Angeles:
- Stan Van Gundy is not expected to pursue the Lakers head coaching position, reports Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link).
- Former Lakers great James Worthy will represent the team during the May 20th NBA Draft lottery, reports Mike Bresnahan of The Los Angeles Times.
- The Lakers will most likely look to hire either a high-salaried big-name coach or an NBA assistant with upside, tweets Bresnahan.
- A potential coaching candidate that team management and Kobe Bryant share a fondness for is Ettore Messina, reports Adrian Wojnarowksi of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link). Messina impressed them while working as an assistant under former coach Mike Brown, Wojnarowski notes.
- Wojnarowski also tweets that another possibility could be UConn coach Kevin Ollie.
- Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio (Twitter link) reports that Byron Scott has strong interest in the Lakers head coaching position, and that he is on the team’s radar as a potential candidate.