Thursday’s Cavs-Pacers trade featured an exchange of second-round picks, with the Cavaliers receiving a 2019 second-rounder while the Pacers acquired the rights to Rakeem Christmas, this year’s 36th overall selection. It’s a swap that caused only a slight ripple in NBA waters, and indeed, most second-round picks don’t enjoy particularly memorable careers in the league, if they ever end up signing at all.
But, enough of them do such that second-rounders indeed have value. Ten free agents who were former second-round picks signed deals this month that totaled, respectively, at least $35MM. None were picked later in the second round than Marc Gasol, the 2007 48th overall pick who wound up re-signing with the Grizzlies on a max deal. DeAndre Jordan, the 35th pick from seven years ago, scored a max deal, too.
Teams like the Sixers and Celtics who’ve loaded up on second-rounders for the years to come have in essence bought up blocks of lottery tickets. The chances of success for any one particular second-round pick are slim. But, put together, picks 31-60 have some impressive credentials. Here are the top 10 deals that former second-round picks have signed this month, ranked by total value and rounded to the nearest $1K:
- Marc Gasol, Grizzlies (five years, $113.212MM) — 48th overall, 2007
- DeAndre Jordan, Clippers (four years, $87.616MM) — 35th overall, 2008
- Goran Dragic, Heat (five years, $85.002MM) — 45th overall, 2008
- Draymond Green, Warriors (five years, $82MM) — 35th overall, 2012
- Khris Middleton, Bucks (five years, $70MM) — 39th overall, 2012
- Paul Millsap, Hawks (three years, $60.216MM) — 47th overall, 2006
- Omer Asik, Pelicans (five years, $52.977MM) — 36th overall, 2008
- Monta Ellis, Pacers (four years, $43.981MM) — 40th overall, 2005
- Danny Green, Spurs (four years, $40MM) — 46th overall, 2009
- Jae Crowder, Celtics (five years, $35MM) — 34th overall, 2012
The Basketball Insiders salary pages were used in the creation of this post.
Which second-rounder from this year’s class do you think has the best chance to end up on a list like this one someday? Leave a comment to let us know.