If a team claims Anthony Bennett off waivers this week, it would be a first for this season. No NBA team has submitted a waiver claim since the calendar officially flipped to 2015/16 on July 1st. That’s not altogether unusual. At this point last year, only two players had been claimed off waivers, including Carlos Boozer, who went to the Lakers via amnesty waivers. However, if last year is any indication, we should see some waiver activity soon.
NBA teams combined to claim five players off waivers between September 28th and October 27th in 2014, and 16 waivers claims took place overall in 2014/15. In a positive sign for Anthony Bennett, a slight majority of those players remain in the NBA. Still, if a team does claim Bennett, don’t expect the club to keep him around for too long. Tarik Black and Joe Ingles are the only two of the 16 players claimed off waivers last season who are still with the team that snagged them.
Of course, players just 27 months removed from having been the No. 1 overall pick don’t usually end up on waivers, so the circumstances surrounding Bennett are unusual indeed. Still, a look at what happened with waiver claims last season illustrates what might happen for the former UNLV standout in the year ahead.
Here’s where each player claimed off waivers last season is now:
- Tarik Black, Lakers — Still with Lakers on same contract.
- Carlos Boozer, Lakers (amnesty waivers) — Free agent.
- Earl Clark, Rockets — Free agent.
- Ian Clark, Nuggets — Now with Warriors.
- Jarell Eddie, Celtics — Now with Warriors.
- Jordan Hamilton, Jazz — Signed to play in Russia.
- Justin Hamilton, Timberwolves — Signed to play in Spain.
- Joe Ingles, Jazz — Still with Jazz (re-signed).
- Chris Johnson, Sixers — Now with Jazz.
- Kendall Marshall, Bucks — Now with Sixers.
- A.J. Price, Cavaliers — Signed to play in China.
- Shavlik Randolph, Nuggets — Signed to play in China.
- Glenn Robinson III, Sixers — Now with Pacers.
- Thomas Robinson, Sixers — Now with Nets.
- Ish Smith, Sixers — Now with Wizards.
- Shawne Williams, Pistons — Free agent.
Regardless of whether he’s claimed off waivers, where do you think Bennett will be playing a year from now? Leave a comment to share your thoughts.