Bucks head coach Jason Kidd underwent right hip arthroplasty in New York on Monday and is expected to make a full recovery. There is no timetable for his return and assistant coach Joe Prunty will serve as interim head coach during Kidd’s absence. Prunty was an assistant for the Nets while Kidd was the head coach in Brooklyn. He followed Kidd to Milwaukee for the 2014/15 season. Prior to joining the Nets, Prunty served as an assistant for the Cavs, Blazers, Mavs and Spurs.
The pain in Kidd’s hip stems from his time with the Mavs late in his playing career, according to Charles F. Gardner of Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “It’s been chronic for the last three to four years, since I was in Dallas the last time,” Kidd said. “The pain has been to the point where I can’t function. I’ve taken all the medicine I can do. Talking to the doctors, there’s really no good time to do the surgery. I have to fix myself and then we move on and get back to work.”
Here’s more from the week that was…
- The NBA officially approved the ownership transfer of 100% of the Nets and the Barclays Center to Mikhail Prokhorov.
- Longtime Spurs power forward Matt Bonner indicated that he has no plans to retire after this season as long as there is still interest in him.
- Kings power forward Eric Moreland will be out of action for eight weeks after undergoing surgery to repair damage to his broken foot.
- The Celtics reportedly made David Lee available to teams that would like to acquire him.
- Alan Anderson won’t be available to the Wizards for another three to five weeks as he continues to recover from two surgeries on his left ankle.
- Joakim Noah will reportedly miss the next two to four weeks because of a “slight tear” within his sprained left shoulder.
- The Wizards signed Jarell Eddie.
- Wizards camp cut Josh Harrellson signed with the Latvian club VEF Riga.
- Jarrid Famous, who was with the Mavericks for the preseason, signed with Yulon Luxgen in Taiwan.
- The Cavaliers’ D-League affiliate, the Canton Charge, acquired power forward Jon Horford off waivers.
- Draft-and-stash prospect Tomislav Zubčić signed with the D-League affiliate of the Thunder.
You can stay up to date on all the D-League assignments and recalls for the season here.