Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/12/16

LSU needed a win today to keep any realistic hope of making the NCAA Tournament alive. Instead, the team suffered a 33-point loss to Texas A&M in a game that wasn’t competitive beyond the first few minutes. Ben Simmons had a double-double, accumulating 10 points and 12 rebounds, but he didn’t play with a fire that many players display while leading a team in a must-win game.

His inability to give the Tigers a shot at the Final Four, coupled with his on court demeanor, has raised questions about his ability to be a franchise player in the NBA. That leads up to tonight’s shootaround: If you were the GM of the team that wins the 2016 lottery, would you consider passing on Simmons?

The LSU product was considered a lock for the No. 1 overall pick entering the season, but one GM told Chad Ford of ESPN.com that his play this year has caused some concerns.

“As the season has gone on, I think he hasn’t improved and other guys have,” the anonymous GM said to Ford.  “When guys don’t improve, I get a little nervous. I thought he’d get more comfortable with his jumper. He’d start molding this team into a cohesive unit. It’s gone the opposite direction. I still love him as a prospect, but I’ve got a lot more question marks.”

Brandon Ingram may be the only threat to take over the No. 1 spot and he will have an opportunity that Simmons does not: a chance to shine in the NCAA Tournament.

Let’s be clear. Simmons is not the reason that LSU will likely be headed to the NIT. His play this season is the only reason the team has double-digit wins, as the 2015/16 Tigers lack cohesiveness and top-level talent beyond the Australian native. While Simmons wasn’t the model of consistency, he displayed flashes of brilliance this season and showcased versatility that will be valuable in an ever-changing NBA. Is that enough to justify taking him with the No.1 overall pick regardless of how other prospects finish their seasons? Let’s us know in the comments section below. We look forward to what you have to say!

19 Comments on "Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/12/16"

Andrew C.
Andrew C.
Depends on the state of my team. If I’ve got absolutely no pieces to work with and no prominent ball-dominant players, I take him no question. However, if I already have some type of potential star power on the roster where those players need the ball to be their best, I would strongly consider Ingram over Simmons. Ingram’s shooting ability is a much better complementary skill to have and he still has the potential to be a great player. The point is that Simmons is a player you have to fully commit to building around, whereas Ingram can be inserted… Read more »
Andrew C.
Andrew C.

If Philadelphia wins the lottery, I would definitely consider Ingram because of the team’s desperate need for spacing and Simmons’ similarity to Saric. They should only take Simmons if they can trade Saric and one of their bigs for a much needed backcourt or wings that can space the floor.

Ayy-Aron
Ayy-Aron

I think the lakers, if able to, should draft Simmons and try to trade Randle to the 6ers for one of their centers.

It works out for both teams, both get a starting center and forward.

Andrew C.
Andrew C.

Maybe trade Randle to one of the following teams if that’s the case?:
— Denver for Nurkic, Lauvergne and more
— Knicks for Lopez and more (which they don’t have much of lol)
— Chicago for Gibson, Snell, and more

aarongill
aarongill
It’s a concern he can’t make a jumper and doesn’t play with passion all the time. But Ingram is frail and inconsistent and hasn’t impressed me much. Now there’s dragan bender who has me very intrigued. 7’1. Can shoot, pass, rebound, block shots, defends the pick and roll. He does everything and some scouts say his skill is better than porzingas. He would be a perfect fit next to Randle assuming he gains strength as he weighs only 216. If Simmons comes to la, Randle will need to be trade, options for him would include Noel, caullie-stein, dieng maybe? I’m… Read more »
Scott
Scott

Just take Simmons. Let’s not over think things.

Scott
Scott

If I am Philly and win the Lottery I take Simmons. Then I see if there are any takers for Okafor or Noel for a top 5 pick in the draft. Preferably I trade Okafor to grab Brown or Murray. I think Boston could be a possible trade partner as they own the Nets pick as long as that pick is in the 3-5 range. I’m not worried about Saric and Simmons having the same skill set because Simmons is better and Saric can come off the bench to start his career.

Scott
Scott

In case people are wondering about the part: “I think Boston could be a possible trade partner as they own the Nets pick as long as that pick is in the 3-5 range.” If Boston gets the 2nd pick, they are taking Ingram.

Ayy-Aron
Ayy-Aron

Okay to add what a twist, if philly does take Simmons, do the lakers trade their pick for Okafor?

Ayy-Aron
Ayy-Aron

Or remove the top 3 protection for Okafor.

aarongill
aarongill

Nope lakers won’t do it, Randle and okafor would be horrible defensively and have bad spacing. Ingram or bender would be the choice.

Z-A
Z-A

I’m just hoping the Lakers fall to #4 in the draft… Sixers could get #1 and #4, they can take Simmons, and then Dunn/Murray. That would be great, having too many good young players is a problem any coach / gm would love to have. They can then cut the scrubs they have and bring in some solid vets.

Scott
Scott

Philly is sitting pretty good imo. They have the best chance to grab Simmons and have a chance at the Lakers pick at 4 or 5 to get a PG. They also have Noel or Okafor to potentially trade into a top 3-5 pick. Not to mention they have two late 1st round picks this year to sweeten a potential deal. Will 2016 be the year they finally hit gold?