The Sixers earlier Sunday introduced Bryan Colangelo as president of basketball operations during a press conference. Here are some highlights, news and reactions:
- Colangelo said Sixers coach Brett Brown “deserves an opportunity to coach this basketball team and see this process through,” but also added, “there will be a lot of movement in management and maybe with the coaches, too,” Jake Fischer of SI Now relays (Twitter links).
- Interestingly, Jerry Colangelo wasn’t involved in the hiring of Bryan Colangelo, at least according to Sixers owner Josh Harris, Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweets. Jerry Colangelo is no longer the chairman of basketball operations but will remain as a special adviser to the team, the Sixers announced.
- Harris also noted he was surprised that former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie penned a 13-page resignation letter, Pompey tweets.
- The Sixers began having discussions with Bryan Colangelo at the beginning of the year, tweets CSN Philly’s Jessica Camerato, who also noted the Sixers’ newest addition referred to the franchise’s last three years as a success and “measured rebuilding process.”
- With potentially four first round picks in June, Bryan Colangelo has no shortage of assets this summer to work with, Bob Cooney of The Philadelphia Daily News writes. Bryan Colangelo said the Sixers will be shifting their focus toward winning, Cooney adds.