Thunder, Russell Westbrook Discuss Renegotiation, Extension

The Thunder and Thad Foucher of Wasserman Media Group, the agent for Russell Westbrook, are engaged in talks regarding a renegotiation and extension of the guard’s current deal, Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical reports. The talks are centering around an arrangement that would lock up Westbrook through the 2018/19 campaign, Wojnarowski adds. The Vertical’s Bobby Marks had recently noted the possibility that the All-Star and OKC could work out a short-term extension.

No deal has been finalized, notes Wojnarowski, but the momentum is increasing toward the two sides coming to terms on a three-year, $85MM+ arrangement. The proposed contract would include a player option on the third year, which would allow Westbrook to hit unrestricted free agency during the summer of 2018, the scribe relays. The structure of a proposed deal would up Westbrook’s salary for 2016/17 from $17,769,374 to a $26.5MM max salary, per the article. Westbrook would then earn $28.5MM in 2017/18 and $30.6MM in the final season, provided he didn’t opt out.

Westbrook’s scoring average may have dipped a bit in 2015/16, averaging 23.5 per outing after his league-leading 28.1 PPG in 2014/15, but he averaged career highs in both rebounds (7.8) and assists (10.4). It should be noted that Westbrook’s decrease in scoring output was due to Kevin Durant making his return after missing the bulk of the previous season, not due to a decline in performance. Without Durant as a teammate, Westbrook will be a favorite to snag the MVP award, and will be looked upon to carry the franchise in its first campaign without the Slim Reaper.

The Thunder desperately need to lock up Westbrook, especially after losing Durant to the Warriors via free agency this summer. If no extension can be agreed upon, the 27-year-old will become an unrestricted free agent next offseason, one who will be in extremely high demand around the league. Securing Westbrook will also greatly aid OKC in free agency next summer, since the team can use the guard’s continued presence as a major selling point to prospective free agent targets.

22 Comments on "Thunder, Russell Westbrook Discuss Renegotiation, Extension"

KnicksCavsFan
KnicksCavsFan
1 month 25 days ago

It would be a Russ could bring a ‘ship to OKC it would be sort of similar, in terms of emotions, as LBJ bringing one to Cleveland.

Dionis
Dionis
1 month 25 days ago

Great Job by Presti, he’s keeping Westbrook for 2 seasons which should be his prime athletically And his absolute best. Adams And Oladipo could emerge into stars under Donovan, I think The Thunder can win 50-53 games Néxt season And Get to The WCF. To beat The Warriors Oladipo And Adams will need to breakout into stars though which I would bet on happening

leftynate11
leftynate11
1 month 25 days ago

Not gonna lie, part of me wants to see Westbrook hit the open market, just to see who goes after him. But it would makes sense for him to do a short deal and see if OKC can really build around him.

justinkm19
justinkm19
1 month 25 days ago

Will Westbrook really be a selling point. He’s one of the best players in the league but I don’t think most players like him

Ravens_Last_Place
Ravens_Last_Place
1 month 25 days ago

Don’t do it Russell. Not sure where you should go but you won’t win in OKC long term. Moving to San Antonio is your best bet. Not BOS though. Never go to that cesspool.

Connorsoxfan
Connorsoxfan
1 month 25 days ago

How is Boston a cesspool? Because of winter? Or because the fans care?

Ravens_Last_Place
Ravens_Last_Place
1 month 25 days ago

It’s a dump. Ever been? If you have, sorry.

1 month 25 days ago

Because I’m sure Philly is soo much better. The city is just overflowing with sunshines and rainbows right?

Ravens_Last_Place
Ravens_Last_Place
1 month 25 days ago

Philthadelphia is also a dump. But the 76ers have a bright future, but Westbrook wouldn’t want any part of them.

Cam
Cam
1 month 25 days ago

Kids, take a good hard look at what unhealthy obsessions turn into. It’s an illness, people.

Ravens_Last_Place
Ravens_Last_Place
1 month 25 days ago

Maybe you have never been to Boston and seen the slums and the types of people who are from there.

Thronson5
Thronson5
1 month 25 days ago

As much as I would for my team to get the chance to sign this guy I think it would absolutely awesome of him if he stayed. I think it was pretty cowardly of Durant to join the team that knocked them out of the playoffs and I would respect Westbrook a lot more than I already do if he does stay and try to build this thing up even without Durant.

Thronson5
Thronson5
1 month 25 days ago

I hear it’s a done deal. Good for him and for them

smittybanton
smittybanton
1 month 25 days ago

If Westbrook re-signs, I would consider swapping Cameron Payne for Rudy Gay.

Ryan Bru
Ryan Bru
1 month 25 days ago

Agreed. That would be awesome. Payne/Singler/McGary for Rudy?

Connorsoxfan
Connorsoxfan
1 month 25 days ago

But that would actually make sense for both teams! Vlade would never go for something that would make sense for him!

DarkGhost
DarkGhost
1 month 25 days ago

There is no way he signs this extension. It doesn’t make any financial sense, he will get paid more annually and a longer term deal if he becomes a free agent and re ups next year.

Danthemilwfan
Danthemilwfan
1 month 25 days ago

I like OKc and for their sake I hope he signs an extension, but if I were him I wouldn’t. That team is going to have problems making the playoffs for years to come. If I’m him I go to the lakers and take over Hollywood where guys are dying to go if only they had a remotely competitive team.