Last week, we examined two groups of players who signed free agent contracts this summer. The smaller of the two groups featured players who can’t be traded by their current teams until January 15, having re-signed with their teams this summer on contracts that met a set of specific criteria. The remaining offseason signees we examined aren’t eligible to be traded until December 15.
However, there is a third group of players who signed new contracts in recent months and don’t fall into either of those groups. These players also can’t be traded yet, but they won’t necessarily become trade-eligible on December 15 or January 15 either — their trade restrictions lift on different dates.
Trade rules for recently-signed players call for a three-month window before a player can be dealt, so guys who signed after September 15 aren’t eligible to be traded starting on December 15. Similarly, players who sign contract extensions with their current clubs can’t be dealt for six months after they ink their new deals, meaning the players who were extended by their teams earlier this week can’t be traded at all this season.
Listed below are the recently-signed players who weren’t on our previous two lists, but still have restrictions limiting their ability to be traded. This list, which will continue to be updated as teams sign new players, is sorted by the dates that players will become trade-eligible:
- Thomas Robinson, Lakers: Signed as free agent on September 21.
- Kyle Wiltjer, Rockets: Signed as free agent on September 23.
- Metta World Peace, Lakers: Signed as free agent on September 23.
- Nicolas Laprovittola, Spurs: Signed as free agent on September 26.
- James Harden, Rockets: Signed extension on July 9.
- R.J. Hunter, Bulls: Signed as free agent on October 27.
- C.J. McCollum, Trail Blazers: Signed extension on July 27.
- Ryan Kelly, Hawks: Signed as free agent on October 31.
- Russell Westbrook, Thunder: Signed extension on August 4.
- Yogi Ferrell, Nets. Signed as free agent on November 9.
- Alonzo Gee, Nuggets. Signed as free agent on November 16.
- Jonathan Gibson, Mavericks. Signed as free agent on November 18.
- Anthony Brown, Pelicans. Signed as free agent on November 21.
Players who won’t be trade-eligible before February 23 deadline:
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks: Signed extension on September 20.
- Dennis Schroder, Hawks: Signed extension on October 26.
- Steven Adams, Thunder: Signed extension on October 31.
- Gorgui Dieng, Timberwolves: Signed extension on October 31.
- Rudy Gobert, Jazz: Signed extension on October 31.
- Victor Oladipo, Thunder: Signed extension on October 31.
- Cody Zeller, Hornets: Signed extension on October 31.
- Toney Douglas, Grizzlies: Signed as free agent on December 5.
- Donatas Motiejunas, Rockets: Offer sheet with Nets matched on December 5.
Note: Players marked with an asterisk also have the ability to veto trades during the 2016/17 league year.
Information from RealGM.com’s transactions log was used in the creation of this post.