There was plenty of original content published by Hoops Rumors staffers this week as we approach a few major milestones on the NBA calendar:
- Luke Adams explored the early 2017 NBA Draft landscape, detailing all of the picks that have already been moved. Many of the picks involved in trades are conditional and based on results from this season, so Adams used our 2016/17 Reverse Standings to piece together some of the dynamics at play.
- Chris Crouse talks at length about how Tyler Johnson‘s expanded role with the Heat will impact fantasy basketball teams. His weekly roundup also discusses the shifting of the (point) guard under way for the Bulls and Ersan Ilyasova‘s stellar play with the Sixers.
- As of Thursday, NBA teams have been eligible to sign players to 10-day contracts. Luke Adams broke down what exactly they are and how they work in the latest Hoops Rumors Glossary post.
- Today marks the last day that NBA teams can waive players on non-guaranteed deals. Luke Adams compiled a list of the partially-guaranteed players whose fate will be decided when the calendar flips over to January 8. We’ll update this list as the 5:00pm EST deadline approaches.
- In 2003, the SuperSonics shipped franchise legend Gary Payton to the Bucks in exchange for Ray Allen. Austin Kent broke down the significance of the deal at the time and its cultural implications in the years that followed.
- Will Joseph rounded up the best links from throughout the blogosphere, including this Grizzly Bear Blues piece that takes a deep dive on Andrew Harrison.
- We decided to open a few contentious topics to the masses this week, below are our Community Shootarounds.
- Even prior to Wednesday’s Kyle Korver trade, there was plenty of talk that the Hawks might look to rebuild. We asked what they should do with the veterans on their roster.
- NBA fans have been treated to some remarkable individual performances this season, so we asked readers who they think is on pace to win MVP.