Nets Formally Interview Jacque Vaughn

The Nets have conducted a formal interview with interim head coach Jacque Vaughn for their permanent position, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who reports that Vaughn impressed team ownership.

Having taken the reins in Brooklyn following Kenny Atkinson‘s ouster in March, Vaughn won his first two games before the season was suspended, then went 5-3 in the seeding games this summer, despite being without most of the Nets’ regular contributors.

The Nets were swept out of the postseason in short order by the defending-champion Raptors, but opposing coaches were impressed with the job Vaughn did with the depleted roster, according to Charania. Sources tell The Athletic that Vaughn remains a “significant” candidate for Brooklyn’s permanent head coaching job and that the team would like him back in some capacity even if it’s not as head coach.

Vaughn’s interview is the first one reported so far in the Nets’ coaching search. The club is said to covet Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, but it remains to be seen whether that interest will be reciprocated. Tyronn Lue, Jason Kidd, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Ime Udoka are among the other coaches who have been linked to the vacancy.

The Nets plan to consult a number of their players during the search process, with stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving among those expected to have a say in the hire.

Bulls Begin Interviewing Head Coaching Candidates

The Bulls‘ search for a new head coach is underway, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who reports that the team has received permission to speak to a number of candidates and has begun conducting interviews.

Several candidates identified by Wojnarowski have been previously reported as potential targets for Chicago. That group includes former Nets coach Kenny Atkinson, Sixers assistant Ime Udoka, Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr., Bucks assistant Darvin Ham, Mavericks assistant Stephen Silas, and Timberwolves associate head coach David Vanterpool.

In addition to those candidates, Wojnarowski reports that the Bulls have also been granted permission to talk to Mavericks assistant Jamahl Mosley and Heat assistant Dan Craig.

Finally, current Bulls assistants Chris Fleming and Roy Rogers – holdovers from Jim Boylen‘s staff who remain under contract – may receive consideration for the top job, according to Wojnarowski. K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago indicates that Fleming could have a role on the new staff if he isn’t promoted, since he has previously worked with Bulls executive VP Arturas Karnisovas in Denver and there’s a “trust factor” between the two men.

Following Boylen’s dismissal, Karnisovas suggested that Chicago is seeking a head coach who “puts the relationship with players first” and is “a good communicator.” The Bulls, who appear to be conducting a wide-ranging search, could be competing with the Pacers, Sixers, Nets, and Pelicans for certain candidates, since all of those clubs are also in the market for new head coaches.

While Karnisovas has said there’s no set timeline for finalizing a new hire, it will be interesting to see whether Chicago tries to have a new head coach in place for its organized offseason team activities, which are scheduled to take place from September 14 to October 6.

Brandon Ingram Wins Most Improved Player Award

Brandon Ingram has been named the league’s Most Improved Player, Andrew Lopez of ESPN tweets.

The Pelicans forward collected 42 first-place votes and 326 total points to edge Heat center Bam Adebayo, who picked up 38 first-place votes and 295 points. Mavericks guard Luka Doncic (12 first-place votes, 101 points) finished a distant third. A global panel of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters voted on the award.

The seeding games in Orlando were not considered when the voting was conducted.

From the beginning of the season through the stoppage of play on March 11, Ingram averaged 24.3 PPG, 6.3 RPG and 4.3 APG in 34.3 MPG in 56 games.  He was one of seven players to average at least 24.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.0 steals this season.

He will be a restricted free agent this offseason.

Ingram made 137 3-pointers in games played through March 11, which is more than he recorded in his first three seasons combined (127).

Ingram, who turns 23 on Sept. 2, was selected as a reserve for the 2020 NBA All-Star Game in his first season with New Orleans after being included in the blockbuster, multi-team deal that sent Anthony Davis to the Lakers. Ingram averaged 18.3 PPG, 5.1 RPG and 3.0 APG in 33.8 MPG in 52 games with the Lakers last season.

The Raptors’ Pascal Siakam won the award last year and finished seventh in voting this season. The full voting results can be found right here.

Vince Carter To Join ESPN As Analyst

Following his retirement as a player earlier this year, Vince Carter has already lined up his next job, according to Andrew Marchand of The New York Post, who reports that the veteran forward has agreed to join ESPN as an analyst.

A report last week indicated that Carter and the Hawks had engaged in some preliminary discussions about the possibility of him taking on a role with the franchise. However, the 22-year veteran had spoken frequently in the past about wanting to pursue a broadcasting role when his playing career was over.

Even when he was still playing, Carter made appearances on TNT, ESPN, and FOX Sports, called Summer League games, and hosted his own podcast for The Ringer. According to Marchand, the 43-year-old was viewed as a “top broadcasting free agent” once he finished his career.

It remains to be seen how exactly Carter will be utilized on ESPN, but in the past, the future Hall-of-Famer has expressed a desire to break down the X’s and O’s of the game.

“I wouldn’t go (the) Stephen A. (Smith) route,” Carter previously told The New York Post. “I wouldn’t go the quiet route. … I want to explain the game where you are watching it and say, ‘Ah, that makes sense.'”

Magic Expect Jonathan Isaac To Miss 2020/21 Season

There’s still little clarity on when the 2020/21 NBA season will begin and end, but Magic president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman confirmed today that his team expects Jonathan Isaac‘s recovery from a torn ACL to sideline the young forward for the full year.

We will not have Jonathan Isaac next season,” Weltman said, per Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press (Twitter link).

Isaac was on his way to a breakout year in 2019/20, having averaged career highs in PPG (11.9), RPG (6.8), BPG (2.3), SPG (1.6), and a handful of other categories in the 34 games (28.8 MPG) he played. However, a severe left knee sprain and bone bruise sidelined him on January 1, and his comeback effort during the restart was abruptly halted in early August by a torn left ACL.

It’s not uncommon for NBA players’ ACL recoveries to span more than a full calendar year. For instance, Kristaps Porzingis suffered a torn ACL in February of 2018 and missed the entire ’18/19 season. Klay Thompson tore his ACL in the 2019 NBA Finals last June and won’t return for the Warriors until the start of the 2020/21 season.

Isaac projects to be one of the Magic’s cornerstone players going forward, so it makes sense for the team to set a conservative recovery timeline for him. Perhaps if the start of the 2020/21 season gets pushed back by several months, Orlando would reconsider Isaac’s return date, but for now it sounds like we shouldn’t expect to see him back on the court before ’21/22.

That timeline means Isaac may be on a new contract by the time he plays his next game. He’ll be eligible for a rookie scale extension during the 2020 offseason and will be a restricted free agent in 2021 if he and the Magic don’t reach a new deal before then.

Isaac’s knee injury may negatively impact his leverage when he negotiates his next deal, but if his recovery is progressing well, the Magic will likely still be confident about investing in him long term — Porzingis and Thompson, for instance, both signed five-year, maximum-salary contracts before they’d returned from their respective ACL tears.

Carmelo Anthony: “I Think I’ve Found A Home In Portland”

After resurrecting his career with the Trail Blazers, Carmelo Anthony is hoping to return to the team next season, writes Jason Quick of The Athletic. Speaking with reporters after Portland was eliminated from the playoffs Saturday night, the 36-year-old free-agent-to-be talked about his desire to re-sign with the organization.

“I pray that it can be Portland, honestly,” Anthony said. “I think I’ve found a home in Portland. I got comfortable with the organization, I got comfortable with the guys on the team, they got comfortable with me, and at this point in my career, I do think that is the best fit for me.”

Anthony was out of the NBA for more than a year before the Blazers took a chance on him in November after Zach Collins suffered a dislocated shoulder. Anthony’s original contract wasn’t guaranteed until January, but his performance on the court and his role in the locker room quickly proved he was worth keeping. After two weeks, Portland guaranteed the deal for the rest of the season.

Anthony said he changed his priorities during the time he spent away from the game and the Blazers turned out to be a perfect fit for him, Quick adds. The veteran forward cited transparency from the front office, his relationship with teammates and the philosophy used by coach Terry Stotts.

“Being able to have another opportunity at this game — Portland if you want to say ‘revive’ is the word — allowed me to come in and just be myself and who I am,” Anthony said. “So I will always be appreciative of that. Being on this team, I’ve learned a lot. Being out of the game for a year, then coming back and having a different perspective on things, a different appreciation, but also a different energy. That time off forced me to tap into something else, dig deep in the well, from a mental standpoint.”

Quick notes that Anthony returning to Portland isn’t a sure thing, with money and playing time both factoring into the decision. Anthony signed this season at the league minimum for a player with 10-plus years of experience, and he may get better offers from other teams. The Blazers view Collins as part of their foundation, and small forwards Rodney Hood and Trevor Ariza are both expected back next season.

Still, there are positive feelings on both sides after one of the few feel-good stories in a difficult NBA season. Anthony has grown to love Portland, and his teammates will expect the organization to do everything it can to keep him.

“I think one of the highlights of this season was really the fact that Melo came and played for the Blazers … was special,” Stotts said. “What he meant to the team and the way he conducted himself, and the way he played. In the bubble, he made some big shots and got us into the playoffs. So I feel very honored to have been able to coach him. He’s a Hall of Fame player and a Hall of Fame guy.”

Nets Will Consult Numerous Players in Coaching Search

The Nets plan to get input from several players as they look for their next head coach, according to Brian Lewis of The New York Post. As expected, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving will be consulted during the process, but sources tell Lewis that general manager Sean Marks plans to talk with DeAndre Jordan, Spencer Dinwiddie and possibly Caris LeVert as well.

“Yeah, I would say it would totally be not incredibly smart of us if we did not involve some of these key players in this decision. And that not only goes for Kevin,” Marks said. “Kevin, Kyrie; we’re going to pick their brains on what they’re looking for in a leader, what they want in a coach, what they need. The guys have been brutally honest so far.”

The additions of Durant and Irving in free agency last summer make the Brooklyn job one of the most attractive in the league. Kenny Atkinson appeared to be the coach of the future, but his surprising dismissal in March created an opening amid rumors that the two stars weren’t enamored with Atkinson’s style of play.

Jacque Vaughn was successful in an interim role, leading the Nets to two wins before the hiatus, followed by a 5-3 record in reseeding games even though half the roster wasn’t available. Vaughn has been promised consideration as the team looks for a permanent coach, and he has the advantage of working with Marks on three separate occasions in the past decade. However, he may be overshadowed by some bigger names on the market.

Vaughn and Clippers assistant Tyronn Lue are viewed as the early favorites for the job, Lewis notes, as Irving has interest in reuniting with his former coach in Cleveland. Joe Harris was also a Cavalier under Lue and called him “an excellent coach.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who served as a mentor to Marks in San Antonio, has been mentioned as a possibility, along with Jason Kidd, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson and Ime Udoka. Durant and his representatives reportedly have an interest in Jackson, Lewis adds.

Former NBA All-Star Cliff Robinson Passes Away

Former NBA All-Star, Sixth Man of the Year, and veteran of 18 seasons Cliff Robinson has passed away, Claudine Ewing of WGRZ-TV first reported (Twitter link). He was 53.

Across his 18 seasons, Robinson suited up for the Trail Blazers, Suns, Pistons, Warriors and Nets. After a standout showcase at UConn, Robinson was drafted by Portland in the second round (36th overall) of the 1989 NBA Draft.

During his eight-year run in Portland, Robinson became a weapon off the bench as he appeared in all 82 games for his first five seasons. Robinson became the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year for the 1992/93 season, then an All-Star in 1993/94 when he moved into the starting lineup.

Robinson remained a double-digit scoring weapon for most of his post-Portland career before he retired from the league following the 2006/07 campaign. He appeared in 1,380 total regular season games and another 141 postseason contests over the course of his NBA career, averaging 14.2 PPG and 4.6 RPG.

The Buffalo, New York native had experienced some health problems in recent years. In 2017, Robinson suffered a brain hemorrhage that temporarily paralyzed the left side of his body, according to the Portland Tribune. Then, in 2018, he underwent surgery to remove a tumor from his jaw, per KATU.

Hoops Rumors sends our condolences to Robinson’s family and friends.

Mavs’ Porzingis Has Meniscus Tear, Ruled Out For Series

4:56pm: Porzingis has been diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear of his right knee and has been ruled out for the remainder of the Mavs’ first-round series, the team announced today (via Twitter).

The Mavs and Porzingis are evaluating further treatment options. According to Tim MacMahon of ESPN (Twitter link), surgery is one possibility to address the injury, which Porzingis suffered in Game 1.


4:07pm: Game 6 between the Mavericks and Clippers has been pushed back by three days and will now take place on Sunday instead of Thursday. However, Dallas big man Kristaps Porzingis didn’t practice on Friday and remains “very doubtful” to play due to his right knee injury, head coach Rick Carlisle said today (Twitter link via ESPN’s Tim MacMahon of ESPN).

With the Mavs facing a 3-2 deficit, it’s possible that Sunday’s game will be their last of the season, which means we may not see Porzingis again until the start of the 2020/21 campaign. He has been sidelined since Game 3 of the team’s first-round series.

The Mavs haven’t offered any specific diagnosis on Porzingis’ injured right knee, having listed him as out with “soreness” for the last two games. He underwent an MRI on this week and the Mavs didn’t say it showed any structural damage, though Carlisle didn’t offer many specifics on the results.

While Porzingis’ outlook for Sunday doesn’t look promising, it’s possible the delay helped a few other Mavs players get healthier. Luka Doncic (ankle), Dorian Finney-Smith (hips), and Trey Burke (ankle) had all been listed as questionable earlier this week when Game 6 was still scheduled for Thursday.

NBA Announces Updated Playoff Schedule

After postseason contests on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were postponed due to player protests, the NBA has announced its new playoff schedule for the weekend. That schedule is as follows:

Saturday, August 29

  • Bucks vs. Magic, Game 5 — 3:30pm ET
  • Rockets vs. Thunder, Game 5 — 6:30pm ET
  • Lakers vs. Trail Blazers, Game 5 — 9:00pm ET

Sunday, August 30

  • Raptors vs. Celtics, Game 1 (round two) — 1:00pm ET
  • Clippers vs. Mavericks, Game 6 — 3:30pm ET
  • Jazz vs. Nuggets, Game 6 — 8:30pm ET

While no games have been scheduled beyond Sunday, it’s probably safe to assume the NBA will resume its every-other-day format for each series. As such, the Rockets and Thunder would presumably play Game 6 on Monday. The Lakers/Trail Blazers and Bucks/Magic would do so as well if those series continue — L.A. and Milwaukee currently hold 3-1 leads.

For more details on the resumption of the season and the initiatives that the NBA and NBPA agreed upon as part of the restart, be sure to check out our earlier story.

Show all