Pacific Notes: Fox, Lakers, Wiseman, Suns, Wiggins
Kings star guard De’Aaron Fox practiced on Monday, Jason Anderson of the Sacramento Bee tweets. The Kings have split the two games he’s missed, winning at Cleveland and losing to the Knicks. They’ll continue their six-game road trip with a back-to-back against Philadelphia (Tuesday) and Toronto (Wednesday). Fox is listed as questionable for the game against the Sixers.
We have more from the Pacific Division:
- The Lakers got a boost of confidence by winning the last game of their six-game road trip, Dave McMenamin of ESPN writes. They finished the trip 3-3 and now host the Celtics on Tuesday. “We got to try to get as much rest as we can starting from now all the way to Tuesday night because we’re going to need it, because a very good team is coming into our building,” LeBron James said. “But, I like the way we ended the trip.”
- James Wiseman posted big numbers after being reassigned to the Santa Cruz Warriors, the G League tweets. Wiseman racked up 24 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks in Santa Cruz’s win on Sunday. The Warriors’ No. 2 overall pick of the 2020 draft made seven previous starts at Santa Cruz before a brief call-up to Golden State.
- The Suns aren’t good enough to win a championship the way their roster is currently constructed, Gerald Bourguet of GoPhnx.com opines. Bourguet believes they need more ball-handling, offensive creation, playmaking and size at power forward. It’s unlikely that simply trading Jae Crowder will solve all those issues, he adds.
- Andrew Wiggins will miss at least two more games due to an adductor strain, according to ESPN’s Kendra Andrews (Twitter link). The Warriors forward will be reevaluated Thursday after the team’s back-to-back the previous two nights.
Atlantic Notes: Williams, Sharpe, Randle, Brunson, Rose
Celtics forward Grant Williams has been fined $20K for hitting the game ball into the spectator stands, the league’s communications department tweets. The incident, for which Williams was assessed a technical foul and ejected, occurred late in the fourth quarter of the Celtics’ 123-107 loss to the Warriors on Saturday.
We have more from the Atlantic Division:
- Nets forward Day’Ron Sharpe may have earned more playing time with his performance on Saturday with many of the team’s regulars out, Brian Lewis of the New York Post writes. Sharpe had a career-high-tying 20 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks as the Nets defeated Indiana. “He’s a young young dude, he’s still learning the speed and where to be. For us to throw different things at him and for him not to get flustered and have poise was great to see,” coach Jacque Vaughn said of the 2021 first-round pick.
- Knicks forward Julius Randle got tossed during the third quarter against Sacramento on Sunday for picking up two technical fouls. Coach Tom Thibodeau believes the coaching staff needs to calm Randle down in those situation to keep him on the court, according to Zach Braziller of the New York Post. “When he got the first [technical foul], we have to do a better job of helping him walk away,” Thibodeau said. “As a team, staff, all of us.”
- Derrick Rose, who was recently removed from the Knicks‘ rotation, could get some playing time restored if Jalen Brunson needs to miss some games, Braziller writes in a separate story. Brunson left Sunday’s game with what the team’s PR department described as a sore right foot (Twitter link). The Knicks don’t play again until Wednesday.
Trade Rumors: Reddish, Fournier, Bogdanovic, Raptors, More
The Lakers have discussed trade concepts involving Knicks wings Cam Reddish and Evan Fournier, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic. Ian Begley of SNY.tv reported last week that the Lakers and Knicks discussed a potential three-team deal, so perhaps Fournier, who’s out of New York’s rotation and owed $36.86MM through 2023/24 (with a $19MM club option in ’24/25), could have been heading to the unknown team in that scenario.
Reddish was also removed from Knicks’ rotation recently and is in the final year of his rookie contract, which will pay him $5.95MM this season. He’ll be a restricted free agent in 2023 if he’s issued an $8.1MM qualifying offer.
Here are some more trade rumors from around the NBA:
- Following up on the Lakers/Knicks reports, sources tell Kurt Helin of NBC Sports that Russell Westbrook‘s $47.1MM expiring salary is unlikely to be dealt due to the assets the Lakers would have to attach to move him.
- Charania wrote earlier today that L.A. remains in pursuit of forward Bojan Bogdanovic, and are offering a protected first-round pick and salary-matching contracts. Marc Stein reports in his latest Substack article (subscriber link) that the Pistons are “insisting on a fully unprotected future first from the Lakers to seriously entertain” dealing the veteran sharpshooter.
- Though they’re considered a less likely seller than the Bulls, rival teams are keeping a close eye on the Raptors ahead of the February 9 trade deadline, according to Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report. “The timeline of their players don’t match,” one source said. “They have good players, but it will be interesting to see how they navigate with OG [Anunoby] and Fred [VanVleet].” VanVleet will likely decline his $22.8MM player option for ’23/24 in search of a longer-term deal, while Anunoby will almost certainly decline his own option in ’24/25, so Toronto has more time to decide what to do with him. According to Pincus’ sources, the Magic and other rebuilding clubs with cap space next summer might be worth keeping an eye on for VanVleet, who has struggled mightily with his shot this season (.360/.326/.846 splits through 21 games).
- Perhaps the most available player amongst the Raptors‘ rotation regulars could be shooting guard Gary Trent Jr., who can also become a free agent if he declines his $18.8MM player option for ’23/24. “I don’t think they want to keep Trent,” one source told Pincus. Toronto is just 2-5 in its last seven games, including two straight losses at Orlando, and currently holds a 13-14 record.
- Pincus suggests the Jazz might be more of a buyer than a seller after their 15-14 start to the season. He also mentions that teams are eyeing the Hornets as a seller after injuries and off-court issues ravaged the roster. According to Pincus, Terry Rozier, Kelly Oubre, Mason Plumlee and P.J. Washington are among the players worth watching. Washington, in particular, is reportedly seeking more money than Charlotte might be willing to offer in restricted free agency, per Pincus.
Joel Embiid, Zion Williamson Named Players Of The Week
Sixers center Joel Embiid and Pelicans forward Zion Williamson have been named the NBA’s players of the week, the league announced today (via Twitter).
Embiid, the Eastern Conference winner, led Philadelphia to a 2-1 week while averaging a ridiculous 43.3 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.0 steal and 1.0 block on .639/.667/.889 shooting. His week was capped off by a 53-point, 12-rebound outing last night against Charlotte, making him the only player in the 2022/23 season to have multiple games of 50-plus points.
Williamson, the West’s winner, led New Orleans to a 3-0 week while averaging 33.0 points, 8.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.0 steal on .704/.667/.700 shooting splits. He’s been absolutely unstoppable of late, averaging 30.0 points, 9.1 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.1 blocks on .669/.333/.746 shooting during the Pelicans’ current seven-game winning streak. They hold the No. 1 seed in the West at 18-8.
According to the NBA (Twitter link), the other nominees in the West were Luka Doncic, Rudy Gobert, Nikola Jokic and Ja Morant, while Jarrett Allen, DeMar DeRozan, Buddy Hield, Julius Randle and Franz Wagner were nominated in the East.
Bradley Beal Cleared Following Hamstring Strain, But Out Monday
Guard Bradley Beal has been cleared to resume all on-court activities after dealing with a right hamstring strain, but he’s out Monday against Brooklyn, the Wizards announced (via Twitter).
Beal sustained the injury on December 4 while diving after a loose ball against the Lakers. He was reevaluated today and subsequently cleared by Washington’s medical staff.
Head coach Wes Unseld Jr. previously stated that Beal had a low-grade strain, so he was relatively fortunate that it wasn’t more severe. Monday will mark his fourth consecutive missed game, and “his status moving forward will be determined by his clinical evolution,” according to the Wizards.
The 29-year-old is in the first year of a five-year, $251MM contract after re-signing with the Wizards as a free agent this past summer. Through 18 games, he’s averaging 22.9 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.4 APG and 1.2 SPG on .522/.352/.873 shooting.
After winning six of seven during a November stretch, Washington has lost nine of its past 10 games, including six straight. Wizards are currently 11-16, the No. 12 seed in the East, trailing the No. 10 Heat by one game for the final play-in spot.
$3 Billion Offer Made For Suns
A pair of venture capitalists recently submitted a $3 billion offer to buy the Suns and the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, according to Marc Vartabedian of The Wall Street Journal.
The offer was made by Jack Selby, managing director of the Thiel Capital investment firm, which was founded by tech mogul Peter Thiel, and Jason Pressman, managing director of Shasta Ventures. Thiel, a co-founder of PayPal, among other companies, could also provide financing for the purchase, Vartabedian reports.
Selby and Pressman had a meeting in Phoenix last Wednesday with some of the Suns’ top officials and got a tour of the team’s arena and practice facility, Vartabedian adds. They are one of several groups that are hoping to buy the team, and second-round bids are due in January.
The $3 billion offer would be the second-highest purchase price ever for an NBA franchise, trailing only the $3.3 billion that Joe Tsai paid for the Nets in 2019.
The Suns were put up for sale after the NBA suspended owner Robert Sarver for a year and fined him $10MM following an investigation into inappropriate workplace conduct. He purchased the team in 2004 for $401MM, which was a record price at the time.
Team vice chairman Sam Garvin said over the weekend that Sarver will seek a buyer who plans to keep the team in Phoenix.
Charania’s Latest: Bogdanovic, Crowder, Gordon, Martin, Collins
The Lakers are seeking shooters in their trade talks with rival teams and have discussed a potential deal with the Pistons involving Bojan Bogdanovic, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. Along with players to match Bogdanovic’s $19.343MM salary, the trade could include a protected first-round pick from L.A. in either 2027 or 2029, sources tell Charania.
Bogdanovic has been enjoying a career-best season since Detroit acquired him from the Jazz in September, averaging 21.0 points per game while shooting 50.8% from the field and 43.7% on three-pointers. He signed a two-year, $39.1MM extension in October that will keep him under team control through the 2024/25 season.
Charania hears there are about a dozen teams that have expressed interest in Bogdanovic, with all offering first- or second-round picks in return. Charania’s sources say the Pistons aren’t committed to moving Bogdanovic and have expressed a “significant reluctance” to some of the teams that have inquired.
The Athletic insider passes along a few more rumors:
- The Suns were trying to work out a three-team deal to send Jae Crowder to the Bucks, multiple sources told Charania. Phoenix would have received Eric Gordon and Kenyon Martin Jr. from the Rockets in the proposed trade, while four of Milwaukee’s second-round picks would have gone to Houston, along with unidentified players. The Rockets have nixed the deal so far and are hoping to get a first-round pick for Gordon and “a very good first-rounder” if they decide to move Martin. Charania hears that Houston has gotten interest in Gordon from several contenders, but is less willing to talk about parting with Martin. The Bucks may search for another team to help complete the deal for Crowder.
- The Hawks and Heat have also expressed interest in Crowder, Charania adds, and Miami will have more assets to offer when Dewayne Dedmon, Victor Oladipo and other players become trade-eligible on Thursday.
- The Hawks have talked to several teams about John Collins, including the Jazz, Nets and Mavericks, according to Charania, who adds that Atlanta hasn’t shown interest in a Brooklyn deal that would include Joe Harris. The Suns also like Collins, but they aren’t willing to take on his pricey contract. The Hawks would like to acquire Kyle Kuzma from the Wizards, but Charania hears there’s not much traction on a potential deal with Washington.
“Everyone Is Watching Chicago” For Potential Trades
Rival teams are monitoring the Bulls on the NBA’s trade market, a source tells Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report.
There’s speculation that Chicago, which is sitting outside the Eastern Conference play-in race at 11-15, could dismantle its current roster in hopes of landing a high draft pick, Pincus explains. The team owes this year’s first-rounder to the Magic as part of the Nikola Vucevic trade unless it lands a top-four pick in the lottery. Pincus notes that there are five teams with eight wins or fewer, so if the Bulls plan to pursue that strategy they need to start soon.
“Everyone is watching Chicago very closely,” an NBA source told Pincus. “They’re so poorly constructed, they need to blow it up.”
Pincus cites a recent rumor that the Lakers might be willing to part with their first-round picks in 2027 and 2029, along with Russell Westbrook as a buyout candidate, in exchange for Vucevic and DeMar DeRozan. That move would put the Bulls in position to tank and would give the franchise two valuable draft assets for the future.
Pincus sees that as a better route than losing this year’s first-rounder to Orlando and trying to re-sign Vucevic when he becomes a free agent next summer. That would leave Chicago with just its mid-level exception, plus smaller trades, to try to upgrade the roster.
Zach LaVine could also be a trade candidate once he becomes eligible on January 15, Pincus adds. There hasn’t been much talk about LaVine yet in trade circles, but Pincus believes the Bulls would find plenty of interest if they make him available. LaVine signed a five-year, $215MM contract in July.
Trade Market Heating Up For Kyle Kuzma
There’s plenty of interest in Wizards forward Kyle Kuzma as the NBA’s unofficial trade season begins this week, according to Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report.
Pincus cautions that Washington hasn’t decided to move Kuzma, but there’s a risk he’ll leave in free agency next summer if he declines his $13MM player option for 2023/24 as expected. General manager Tommy Sheppard recently indicated that the Wizards intend to re-sign Kuzma, but Pincus points out that the team already has two established scorers in Bradley Beal and Kristaps Porzingis and is off to an 11-16 start.
Pincus adds that Kuzma could be one of the five best players on the free agent market and may become too expensive for Washington to keep.
“He wants out,” an NBA source said told Pincus. “He’s looking for over $20 million a season and in a big market (or with a contender).”
Pincus cites the Kings, who tried to trade for Kuzma in 2021 before the Lakers sent him to the Wizards, as a team to watch. Sacramento can’t unconditionally offer a first-rounder earlier than their 2028 pick, but Pincus believes a deal could be constructed around Harrison Barnes and either that future pick or a young prospect such as Davion Mitchell.
The Suns may see a Kuzma trade as a chance to finally unload Jae Crowder, Pincus notes, suggesting Crowder and Cameron Johnson, who is recovering from knee surgery, may be enough to get a deal done. Johnson will be a restricted free agent next summer, which would allow the Wizards to match any offer he might get.
Pincus also believes the Knicks have interest in Kuzma, who is represented by CAA, the former agency of team president Leon Rose. Obi Toppin could be the centerpiece of a deal, according to Pincus, who adds that New York has young players such as Immanuel Quickley and Cam Reddish to offer, along with a wealth of draft assets.
RJ Nembhard Signs With Italian Team
RJ Nembhard, who played 14 games for the Cavaliers last season, has signed with Pallacanestro Reggiana in Italy, according to Alessandro Maggi of Sportando.
The 23-year-old shooting guard earned a two-way contract with Cleveland last fall after going undrafted out of TCU. He spent much of the season in the G League before being converted to a standard deal at the end of March. Nembhard signed another two-way contract with the Cavs in July, but was waived in October.
For the past month, Nembhard had been playing with the G League’s Motor City Cruise, where he was averaging 12.2 points, 3.1 rebounds and 4.5 assists in 10 games. His new contract will run through the end of the season, according to Maggi.
