With the Knicks still not confirming exactly when they received the Rockets' offer sheet for Jeremy Lin, we can assume their deadline is tonight, even if we're not 100% sure. If a decision is indeed due later today, we can finally expect resolution on a topic that's sparked a ton of debate over the last couple days. A number of reports on the weekend suggested the Knicks were leaning toward not matching Houston's offer, but it appears no definitive decision has been made yet, as Chris Mannix of SI.com tweets. Here are the latest updates on Lin and his $25.1MM offer sheet….
- ESPN.com's Larry Coon points out (in an Insider-only piece) that if the Knicks matched Lin's offer sheet and wanted to get out from under the third year of his deal, they could waive him using the stretch provision. The provision would allow the Knicks to spread Lin's $14.9MM 2014/15 salary over the next three years, at less than $5MM annually.
- Multiple sources informed Ken Berger of CBSSports.com that the Knicks have yet to convey their intentions to either Lin or the Rockets. However, Berger says that "in league circles" there's a belief that the Knicks could still match the offer.
- Fred Kerber of the New York Post is hearing similar rumblings, with one rival GM telling Kerber that he's "not convinced" the Knicks let Lin walk.
- Within Berger's piece, he also notes that Carmelo Anthony voiced his support for retaining Lin, despite calling the contract "ridiculous" over the weekend: "I hope we can get it done, man. I would love to see him back. Honestly, I would definitely love to see him back. But knowing the business of basketball, it's kind of a tough situation for both parties. For Jeremy, I know that he definitely wants to be back in New York and James Dolan definitely wants him back. But it's just a matter of figuring it out at this point."