In addition to listing the best remaining free agents, Alex Kennedy provides some updates on the Dwight Howard situation, the Magic's coaching search, and the Warriors' offseason in his latest NBA AM piece for HoopsWorld. Let's check out the highlights….
- In recent days, the Magic have shifted their focus away from Howard trade talks and toward convincing the star center to remain in Orlando. According to Kennedy, GM Rob Hennigan and members of the Magic front office will travel to Los Angeles later this week to meet with Howard face-to-face and deliver a presentation that they hope will convince him to stay.
- Sources within the organization are confident they can make Howard reconsider his standing trade request, says Kennedy. With the Nets out of the picture until January, the Magic believe Orlando ranks favorably alongside other potential destinations for D12. While I think it's possible the Magic decide not to trade Howard, I think convincing him that he wants to stay in Orlando may be a long shot.
- The Magic are expected to hire a coach within "the next several days." The new hire will likely accompany Hennigan to Los Angeles for the pitch to Howard. According to Kennedy, Jacque Vaughn remains the frontrunner, but Michael Curry and Lindsey Hunter are still in the mix.
- Kennedy spoke to Warriors coach Mark Jackson, who said he likes where his team is right now and thinks Golden State got a "steal" in Andrew Bogut.
- Jackson on the Warriors potentially making more moves: "We just want to continue to add depth. Obviously, I think we need another big body. We’re going to pay attention to what’s out there and continue to try to get better by any means necessary."