Stephen Curry, Warriors To Discuss Extension
MONDAY, 1:26pm: Warriors GM Bob Myers confirmed to SI.com's Zach Lowe that the team will explore an extension for Curry this offseason, and expressed optimism about a potential deal (Twitter link).
FRIDAY, 10:30am: With Stephen Curry entering the final year of his rookie deal, the Warriors have until October 31st to sign the sharpshooter to a long-term extension. If the two sides don't reach an agreement, Curry will become a restricted free agent next summer. According to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com, the Warriors do intend to talk about a new contract for the 24-year-old before the deadline, but it's not clear whether those talks will be "courtesy conversations, designed to let Curry know he is wanted yet minus the serious money to close the deal."
Given Curry's injury woes in 2011/12, the Warriors will be watching him closely in pre-camp workouts, training camp, and the preseason, Howard-Cooper writes. Committing to a long-term deal for a player coming off ankle surgery would be a risk, so Golden State will take every opportunity to gauge Curry's health and determine whether it's a risk worth taking. For his part, Curry sounds open to getting something done before the season begins.
"You're playing chess with it," Curry said. "If they were to take that approach to wait and I've had a great season, hopefully it would spark some interest across the league for the future and the price would drive up. If I were the Warriors, I'd offer a reasonable amount and sign me up now."
Hoops Rumors' Michael Pina took a more in-depth look at Curry's extension candidacy earlier this month.
Pistons Looking To Bolster Backcourt
The Pistons have the maximum 15 guaranteed contracts on their roster, but team president Joe Dumars doesn't consider his offseason work done just yet. Keith Langlois of Pistons.com says Detroit is still seeking roster upgrades, including trying to find a way to bolster its backcourt. At the moment, the Pistons' roster is a little unbalanced — 11 of the team's 15 players are forwards or centers, with only Rodney Stuckey, Brandon Knight, Will Bynum, and Kim English in the backcourt.
"I would feel comfortable [with the status quo], but it’s something we’re trying to address, as well," Dumars said. "We continue to look to shuffle one or two spots on our roster to give it more balance."
The Pistons could get a look at a guard or two in training camp by offering nonguaranteed deals, but a trade may be the more likely option. Austin Daye's name has come up this summer in trade speculation, and I would guess the team would be willing to part with someone like Jason Maxiell too. For his part, Dumars sounds optimistic that teams are still open to making deals before camps open.
"I do get the sense that there are more teams trying to impact their rosters through the month of August, which historically has been a slow period," he said. "In the conversations I’m having and the amount of teams I’m talking to in what is a traditionally slow time, it’s not that right now. For whatever reason, I don’t know, but it is the case. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more moves happen."
Dumars added that there are a lot of "feelers" out there right now, but nothing is imminent. Teams may be waiting a few more weeks to see if offers improve before camps open, according to the Pistons' president.
Examining Serge Ibaka’s Extension
Serge Ibaka and the Thunder finalized a four-year, $49MM extension over the weekend, a deal that will keep the big man under contract through 2017. It appeared likely that the Thunder would prioritize an extension for James Harden over one for Ibaka this summer, so news of Ibaka's agreement came as something of a surprise. With Ibaka, Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook now locked up to expensive long-term deals, we'll have to wait and see if Oklahoma City can make room for Harden as well.
In the meantime, it's worth taking a look at Ibaka's new contract to see how much money the Thunder may have saved by getting something done early. First, let's compare Ibaka's career stat line to the numbers for a few other big men that have recently signed long-term deals after three NBA seasons:
It's worth noting that, besides Ibaka's contract, only Horford's was a true extension — Jordan and Gasol were both retained by their respective teams in free agency. Still, it's hard not to compare Ibaka's deal to the other three and like the value for the Thunder. While the Oklahoma City big man hasn't provided the offense that Gasol and Horford did early in their careers, and hasn't played equally heavy minutes, his PER stands up nicely next to the Memphis and Atlanta centers. And the Thunder got him for a lesser annual salary than Gasol's and committed to fewer guaranteed years than the Hawks did for Horford.
Additionally, because Ibaka has one year remaining on his rookie deal, the Thunder are more likely to get a little extra value out of the four-year extension by having it come closer to Ibaka's prime years — the deal runs from age 24 to 27. It makes the contract look better when compared to Jordan's, for instance. 2011/12 was the first year of Jordan's deal, meaning the Clippers were paying big bucks for a player that was still fairly raw and at least a couple years away from his prime.
The contracts signed earlier this summer by free agent big men also give an indication of what sort of price tag the Thunder would have been facing next summer. Roy Hibbert was quickly signed to a maximum-salary offer sheet in July, for four years and $58MM+. Brook Lopez received a max four-year, $61MM+ deal, despite missing nearly the entire season with foot injuries. And even JaVale McGee, who was a relative bargain at four years and $44MM, received a nice chunk of change for a player whose makeup has been questioned. Based on those deals, you'd have to think continued improvement for Ibaka in 2012/13 would have easily earned him a maximum offer from a team in need of size next summer.
As the Nuggets showed earlier this year when they traded Nene mere months after signing him to a five-year, $65MM pact, a long-term extension doesn't necessary mean the player will be part of a team's plans for years to come. But assuming the Thunder do intend to keep Ibaka as part of their core, they did well to get him at the price they did. A maximum-salary contract next year would likely have started around $14MM and increased annually, whereas Ibaka's extension will remain at $12.25MM per year. Over the course of the contract, Oklahoma City could save close to $15MM by locking the 22-year-old up early.
Real Madrid Looking At Yi, Darko
Real Madrid has already landed one NBA veteran this summer, inking Rudy Fernandez to a three-year deal, and it appears they're eyeing a few other NBA free agents. According to an Encestando.es report (translation via HoopsHype), Real Madrid could be eyeing Yi Jianlian and Darko Milicic. Yi is said to be asking for a contract worth about two million euros annually from Real Madrid, while the Spanish club is also believed to be "tempted" by Darko.
Both Jianlian and Milicic are former lottery picks whose NBA careers have been underwhelming to date. Still, while neither player has lived up to expectations, both still appear to be serviceable NBA bench players. Yi has a career PER of 11.2 in 272 games, while Darko has posted a 12.3 PER since being drafted second overall in 2003.
Yi is coming off a one-year contract with the Mavericks, while Darko was amnestied earlier this summer by the Timberwolves, so both players are free agents. If Real Madrid is willing to meet the salary figure Yi is reportedly requesting, it would undoubtedly be more than he'd make in the NBA, so seeing him head overseas wouldn't be a surprise. Darko's agent has suggested his client isn't eager to leave the NBA though, and since he's still being paid by the T-Wolves, Milicic has less incentive to seek a higher offer overseas.
Thunder Interested In Jimmer Fredette
There have been rumblings this summer that the Kings could explore trading Jimmer Fredette and that Jimmer might be open to being moved. If Sacramento does entertain offers, the Thunder figure to be one team that will kick the tires. According to Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio (Sulia link), Oklahoma City "would love to pry Fredette away" from the Kings. Amico adds that Kevin Durant is a big fan of Jimmer.
Previous reports on Jimmer's potential availability alluded to the player's desire for a larger role and more playing time, and it's not clear whether he would receive those opportunities for the Thunder. It's also unlikely that the Kings would consider trading last year's lottery pick for cents on the dollar after one poor season, so I doubt we'll see a trade anytime soon.
As for the Thunder, Amico says their interest in Fredette would be as a replacement for Derek Fisher. With Eric Maynor expected back to start the season though, that's probably not a real area of concern for Oklahoma City at this point.
Brandon Jennings Wants Contract Extension
Bucks point guard Brandon Jennings has been vocal about his desire to explore free agency in the past, but has recently shown that he is open to signing a new deal in Milwaukee. Today, Jennings made his strongest comments yet as he says that he hopes to have a contract extension worked out before the start of the season, writes Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel.
"It would be something I’d love to get done with and over with so I don’t have to worry about it," Jennings said. "But the main thing is just to come into training camp a better player, a better leader … just lead the team to the playoffs."
The two sides have until October 31st to reach agreement on an extension. Jennings, 23 in September, turned in a career-high 19.1 PPG last season with 5.5 APG while shooting 41.8% from the floor. Jennings may be hesitant to try his hand on the open market as a restricted free agent as he is in line to be in the same class as fellow one-guards Ty Lawson, Stephen Curry, Jrue Holiday, and Jeff Teague.
Odds & Ends: Harden, Hornets, James, Olympics
Sad news today as former NBA Deputy Commissioner and Players Association executive director Simon Gourdine passed away at the age of 72. As deputy commissioner in 1976, Gourdine was instrumental in helping to facilitate the merger of the NBA and ABA, which brought the Nets, Pacers, Spurs, and Nuggets over to the Association. Here's more from around the league on this Sunday evening..
- If Eric Gordon is a max player, and Brook Lopez is a max player, reigning Sixth Man of the Year James Harden is certainly a max player, opines Chris Sheridan of Sheridan Hoops. After signing Serge Ibaka to a four-year, $48MM contract extension, the Thunder will have to get creative if they hope to hang on to Harden. Of course, Oklahoma City may opt to trade the super sub to avoid the possibility of having to match a lucrative backloaded offer sheet down the line.
- The Hornets have gone to great lengths to revamp their club this summer and Jim Eichenhofer of Hornets.com runs down the newest additions to the hive. Eichenhofer notes that the recently-acquired Hakim Warrick may have to shift from power forward to small forward in order to see time in New Orleans.
- It may be four years away, but LeBron James already says that he hopes to compete in the 2016 Olympics in Rio, according to the Associated Press. James joked that he has "done the math" and is well aware that he will be 31-years-old during those games. Of course, James could only play if there isn't an under-23 age limit applied for USA Basketball starting in 2016.
Cavs Not Looking To Buy Out Walton, Casspi
The Cavaliers aren't expected to buy out Luke Walton or Omri Casspi, according to Mary Schmitt Boyer and Jodie Valade of The Plain Dealer (Twitter links). The Cavs also have yet to reach agreement on a deal with Alonzo Gee, though the two sides are reportedly closing in on a three-year deal worth about $10MM.
A report earlier today indicated that the Cavs were considering a buyout for Casspi. The Israeli forward is set to earn $2.277MM next season and can be retained with a $3.313MM qualifying offer in 2013/14.
Walton, 32, played in just 21 games for the Cavs last season and has been used out of position at power forward rather than his natural three spot. The former Laker is under contract for one more season where he'll make a sizable $6.091MM. As it stands, Walton is set to be the third-highest paid Cavalier next season behind Baron Davis and Anderson Varejao.
Poll: Which Team Will Rebuild Itself Faster?
Recently, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey showed a bit of public dismay at the haul Orlando pulled in from their Dwight Howard trade. Given that he was after Howard for so long, and a little disappointed at what eventually transpired, it'll be interesting to see which team builds its team up from the bottom quicker: Orlando or Houston.
Both teams are currently gutted, armed with draft picks, cap space, and young players. And both should be in the market to target available free agents in the summers ahead. Which one do you think ends up making the wiser decisions?
Hoops Rumors Originals: 8/13/12 – 8/19/12
Here's a look at all the original content created by our team of writers this past week.
- Daniel Seco asks how many games the Hornets will win this year.
- Sean Highkin asks which free agent acquisition will have the greatest impact on the Clippers next season.
- Zach Links gives his his weekly Hoops Links feature.
- Luke Adams takes a look at all the unsigned amnesty victims.
- Here's how teams in the Pacific Division have spent their offseason so far.
- A poll asking which 2013 free agent is most likely to switch teams next season.
- A transcript of our weekly Hoops Rumors chat.
- How teams in the Southwest Division have spent their offseason so far.
- I asked which team was the NBA's worst heading into next season.
- DeMar DeRozan is explored in our Extension Candidate series.
- Alex Lee asks how Brandon Roy will do in his first season with the Timberwolves.
- A look at free agent spending in the Northwest Division.
- Free agent spending in the Atlantic Division.
- Chuck Myron gives a good take on the best "under-the-radar" signings of the summer.

