With the Celtics' Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett trade to the Clippers losing steam for now, Sam Amick writes at USA Today that the Clippers were reluctant to part with third-year guard Eric Bledsoe because he could be used in a possible trade for the Lakers' Dwight Howard.
The trade would involve Blake Griffin and Bledsoe for Howard, but many have already weighed in and said the Lakers are still looking to re-sign Howard and have not discussed a deal with the Clippers just yet. Here are some of the reports about a possible Dwight-Griffin/Bledsoe exchange:
- Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com hears from a Lakers team source that the Lakers have not even broached the possibility of trading Dwight to the Clippers with in-house discussions yet (Twitter).
- An NBA executive told Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times that the Lakers will either sign Howard or let him walk to save cap space for next summer (Twitter).
- Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports that the Lakers have resisted overtures from the Clippers to a sign-and-trade for Howard, with his source claiming the Lakers "will never do it" (Twitter).
- ESPNLosAngeles.com scribe, Arash Markazi, says he can't see the Clippers trading Griffin anywhere, let alone to the Lakers (Twitter).
- ESPN.com's J.A. Adande says that if Howard thinks the Clippers are his best option to stay in LA, then he has to realize how much "90% of the city would hate him" (Twitter).