Hoops Rumors extends its condolences to the family of the late Flip Saunders and to all who knew him. Many around the league were hurt, surprised and saddened upon learning the news that Saunders died at the age of 60.
Here are some sentiments, memories and messages passed along on Twitter regarding Saunders:
- Marc Stein of ESPN.com called this one of the saddest days in the NBA that he could remember.
- In Chicago, members of the Bulls media learned about the news just as head coach Fred Hoiberg was addressing reporters after the team’s practice. Hoiberg said you won’t find anyone who knew Saunders who didn’t like and respect him, per K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune.
- Upon learning what happened, Dan Woike of the Orange County Register said he shared the news with a chatty Clippers media room and it became silent.
- Nets GM Billy King called Saunders “one of the best guys in the NBA.”
- Jon Krawczynski of The Associated Press shared that his baby daughter was wearing a pink bib, which was a gift from Saunders, this morning before the announcement was made.
- LeBron James echoed the sentiment of many when he tweeted that Saunders died at too young of an age.
- Veteran Kris Humphries said Saunders was one of the most caring and genuine people he ever met.