January 7 represented a key date for the NBA players who were still on non-guaranteed contracts for the 2017/18 season. While their salaries won’t technically become guaranteed until January 10, the players who stuck with their teams through Sunday are now assured of those guaranteed salaries. If released today, they wouldn’t clear waivers by the start of January 10, so they’ve survived the cut.
Tracking those salary guarantee decisions can be a little tricky, since teams intending to guarantee their non-guaranteed players’ salaries don’t actually need to take any action — it’s simply a matter of letting the deadline pass without waiving those players.
Based on reports from over the weekend and the latest updates from a pair of NBA transaction logs, it seems safe to assume that if we haven’t heard by now that a player was waived, he’s on track to earn a guaranteed salary. So we’ll use the space below to break down those decisions from around the league.
The following players will have their non-guaranteed 2017/18 salaries become fully guaranteed on Wednesday:
- Khem Birch (Magic): $815,615
- Isaiah Canaan (Suns): $1,069,308 salary ($997,547 cap hit)
- Tyler Cavanaugh (Hawks): $679,919
- Spencer Dinwiddie (Nets): $1,524,305
- Dorian Finney-Smith (Mavericks): $1,312,611
- Bryn Forbes (Spurs): $1,312,611
- Marcus Georges-Hunt (Timberwolves): $1,312,611
- Treveon Graham (Hornets): $1,312,611
- Jerami Grant (Thunder): $1,524,305
- Gerald Green (Rockets): $947,248 salary ($872,854 cap hit)
- Devin Harris (Mavericks): $4,402,546
- Richaun Holmes (Sixers): $1,471,382
- Jarrett Jack (Knicks): $2,328,652 salary ($1,471,382 cap hit)
- Sheldon Mac (Wizards): $1,312,611
- T.J. McConnell (Sixers): $1,471,382
- Alfonzo McKinnie (Raptors): $815,615
- Eric Moreland (Pistons): $1,739,333
- Raul Neto (Jazz): $1,471,382
- David Nwaba (Bulls): $1,312,611
- Isaiah Taylor (Hawks): $1,312,611
The following players were waived within the last few days before their salaries could become fully guaranteed:
- Andrew Bogut (Lakers)
- Joel Bolomboy (Bucks)
- Note: Bolomboy signed his non-guaranteed contract on Sunday before being waived.
- Bobby Brown (Rockets)
- DeAndre Liggins (Bucks)
- Damien Wilkins (Pacers)
Bogut, Liggins, and Wilkins remain on waivers, so their salaries could still become guaranteed if they’re claimed by a new team. That’s unlikely, however.
Salary information from Basketball Insiders was used in the creation of this post.