Bulls Plan To “Do What It Will Take” To Keep Zach LaVine

With the start of free agency now less than a week away, the Bulls‘ front office is determined to re-sign guard Zach LaVine, writes K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago.

Asked Thursday whether the team plans to extend a five-year, maximum-salary offer to LaVine, general manager Marc Eversley didn’t provide a direct answer, but he responded, “We’re prepared to do what it will take to bring Zach back in the fold and be a Chicago Bull.”

Eversley added that he looks forward to meeting with LaVine and agent Rich Paul to work out the terms of a new contract for the unrestricted free agent.

LaVine previously said that he plans to explore his options, but more recent reports indicate that he may re-sign with the Bulls shortly after free agency begins next Thursday. Eversley said he’s not sure about LaVine’s intentions, but stressed the importance of keeping him in Chicago.

“Zach, two-time All-Star, he’s an Olympian, he’s been a terrific Chicago Bull thus far,” Eversley said. “It’s our every intention to bring him back. We’re excited about the opportunity to sit down and talk to him. We feel like he’ll be excited to sit down and talk with us. And we’re looking forward to that day.”

Despite his accomplishments, LaVine faces a somewhat limited market in free agency, Johnson adds. Only a handful of teams have the cap room to extend a max offer, and they all missed the playoffs this season. The Bulls also have the advantage of being able to offer LaVine a five-year deal worth about $212MM, while other teams will be limited to four years at roughly $157MM.

View Comments (2)