Rudy Gobert was terrific in Friday’s victory against Dallas, but the four-time Defensive Player of the Year will have to walk a fine line for the rest of the season after his latest flagrant foul resulted in another one-game suspension, writes Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic. Gobert will receive an automatic two-game suspension if he accumulates any additional flagrant foul points.
Timberwolves head coach Chris Finch believes the team’s starting center gets an unjust whistle from officials.
“Seemingly every time Rudy gets clocked in the head and the face, which is quite a bit, it’s always just, ‘Ah that’s just two guys, play on. It’s nothing,’” Finch said. “But yet the other way around, we seem to be penalized for it.”
The 33-year-old big man, who is having a strong season for the Wolves, agreed with his coach’s assessment, Krawczynski notes.
“Guys are coming at me every night, hitting me in the face, grabbing me,” Gobert said. “They purposely foul me. That was like five times tonight. Run into my knees trying to box me out. All these plays are dangerous, and I’m fine with it, you know? But it’s really hard when you get super penalized, and people can do anything without accountability on me. So hopefully they look at that and make it a little more fair.”
Here’s more on the Timberwolves:
- Star guard Anthony Edwards, who had 40 points — including 14 in the fourth quarter — in Friday’s win, is optimistic about the team’s chances of making another deep playoff run, Krawczynski adds in the same story. “I feel like if we play every team how we play the best teams in the league, I feel like we’ve got a chance to go 25-0,” Edwards said, putting the cart before every horse in the West. “It always starts with me. But if we come out and play every team like we play the top teams in the league, I feel like we’ve got a great chance.”
- Point guard Mike Conley re-signed with Minnesota last week after being traded to Chicago and then Charlotte ahead of the deadline. The 19-year veteran knows he might play many minutes going forward, but he says he’ll be ready when he’s called upon, according to Andrew Dukowitz of Zone Coverage (Twitter video link). “I’m getting older man (laughs), that’s one thing, but I just think that it’s their opportunity more than it is mine,” Conley said of his backcourt teammates. “… They’re right before their prime or in their prime. They should be getting these runs, they should be getting these big minutes… I’ve done all that, and I can be the stop gap here and there or the pinch hitter when you need me or whatever you need, but I’m prepared for that… like I said, I’m just happy to be here and help the guys as much as I can.”
- Backup big man Naz Reid is eyeing another Sixth Man of the Year trophy after winning the award two years ago, tweets Chris Hine of The Star Tribune. “Yeah, for sure. I need another one,” Reid said. “But that comes with winning. You gotta win as well. So those two things go hand in hand: winning and obviously having that award.” Reid, who threw down a poster dunk on Friday (YouTube link), is averaging 14.3 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.0 SPG and 0.9 BPG on .471/.387/.733 shooting through 57 games (26.3 MPG).
