While seedings for the playoffs may shift dramatically between now and the end of the season, let's take a look at what the first round of the playoffs would look like based upon current records and examine how the teams have fared against each other to date.
- (#1) Bulls vs. (#8) Knicks: The Bulls are 2-0 on the season against the Knicks with a home-and-home in early April still to come.
- (#2) Heat vs. (#7) Celtics: The Heat knocked off the Celtics in the second game of the season and have three games remaining against them.
- (#3) Magic vs. (#6) Hawks: With two February losses to the Hawks, the Magic will look to avenge their defeats during a home game against Atlanta in April.
- (#4) Sixers vs. (#5) Pacers: The Sixers have split their season series with the Pacers thus far with two more games to be played in April.
- (#1) Thunder vs. (#8) Rockets: After winning back to back games against the Rockets, the Thunder have dropped their last two meetings against Kevin McHale's squad.
- (#2) Spurs vs. (#7) Jazz: Victorious in their first two matchups against the Jazz, the Spurs will face Utah in a home-and-home in April.
- (#3) Lakers vs. (#6) Grizzlies: The Lakers won their first two games against the Grizzlies before falling 102-96 in a rare home loss on Sunday.
- (#4) Clippers vs. (#5) Mavericks: Having split the first two matchups of the season, the Clippers will head to Dallas on Monday for the decisive game of the season series.