No team in NBA history has seen their 15th man have a significant impact on their season and the Spurs aren't likely to be the first, writes Dan McCarney of Spurs Nation. However, the fact that the Spurs are thinking about point guard Mike Bibby and Sebastian Telfair might say something about their concerns over the aging Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Here's more from around the Association..
- The 76ers are considering a number of free agent point guards including Rodrigue Beaubois, Chris Duhon, and Daniel Gibson, according to Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld (on Twitter).
- New Suns GM Ryan McDonough is eager to rebuild in Phoenix, writes Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe. McDonough moved or released five of the team’s top nine scorers from last season with an eye on the bigger picture. “Walking in there, the main thing I wanted to do is upgrade the talent,” said McDonough. “And do it in a fashion that was sustainable for the long term. I didn’t want to try to take any shortcuts or try any quick fixes.”
- Jorge Sierra of HoopsHype caught up with new Mavs point guard Gel Mekel. Mekel said that he chose Dallas over three other NBA clubs because he believed that Dallas sees him as a long-term piece.
- Keith Schlosser of Ridiculous Upside wonders if financial security would make the D-League more desirable for players.
- Based on an early best estimate, Eric Pincus of HoopsWorld looks at the teams that will be in position to go shopping during the free agent bonanza of next summer.