Donald Sterling‘s attorney, Max Blecher, says that Sterling has pulled his support from a deal that would sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will resume his pursuit of the $1 billion federal lawsuit he had filed against the NBA, reports Tami Abdollah of The Associated Press. Sterling had agreed to drop the suit, but has since had a change of heart because the NBA refused to lift the hefty fine and lifetime ban placed on the disgruntled owner, says Abdollah.
Commissioner Adam Silver had confidence that the Sterling saga would soon come to an end, despite Sterling’s alleged second thoughts on following through and complying with the sale of the Clippers. Silver maintained on Sunday that there is absolutely “no possibility” he will lift the ban or rescind the fine that was doled out as punishment for racist remarks Sterling made in April.
This latest chapter of the Sterling fiasco will presumably push back the Clippers’ change in ownership even further since Silver stated in the previously linked report that he wouldn’t proceed with finalizing Ballmer’s acquisition of the team until the lawsuit is resolved. Given the unpredictably of Sterling’s actions throughout this mess so far, it’s hard to say how long it will be until there’s any resolution.