Players in NBA trades probably shouldn’t become too comfortable with their new teams. The NBA makes it more difficult for teams to trade players who’ve already been in a swap within the last two months, but 14 players have been traded at least twice since the end of last season. That includes Scotty Hopson, who’s more notable for having been in four trades within a single offseason than for anything he’s done on an NBA court, and Alonzo Gee, who was in three trades between July and September.
The trend figures to continue. The Sixers apparently have an eye on trading Andrei Kirilenko, who came via trade with the Nets in December, and the Celtics are reportedly expected to look for trade partners willing to take on Tayshaun Prince, whom Boston acquired in last week’s Jeff Green swap. Boston has been involved in one trade or another involving eight of the 14 players on this list. The Cavs have had their hands on seven of them.
These players include guys who are no longer on NBA rosters, and others who wound up with yet another NBA team when the club that acquired them in the last of the series of trades put them on waivers, like Gee, who signed with the Nuggets after the Kings let him go. It doesn’t include players whose draft rights were included in trades, since those are often conveyed multiple times.
Here’s the complete rundown, with the players in alphabetical order and links to our posts on each trade:
- Keith Bogans — Celtics to Cavaliers, September 25th; Cavaliers to 76ers, September 27th.
- Wayne Ellington — Mavericks to Knicks, June 25th; Knicks to Kings, August 6th.
- Alonzo Gee — Cavaliers to Pelicans, July 11th; Pelicans to Rockets, July 15th; Rockets to Kings, September 17th.
- Scotty Hopson — Cavaliers to Hornets, July 12th; Hornets to Pelicans, July 13th; Pelicans to Rockets, July 15th; Rockets to Kings, September 17th.
- John Lucas III — Jazz to Cavaliers, July 22nd; Cavaliers to Celtics, September 25th.
- Erik Murphy — Jazz to Cavaliers, July 22nd; Cavaliers to Celtics, September 25th.
- Jameer Nelson — Mavericks to Celtics, December 18th; Celtics to Nuggets, January 13th.
- Travis Outlaw — Kings to Knicks, August 6th; Knicks to 76ers, October 27th.
- *Dwight Powell — Cavaliers to Celtics, September 25th; Celtics to Mavericks, December 18th.
- Anthony Randolph — Nuggets to Bulls, June 26th; Bulls to Magic, July 14th.
- Austin Rivers — Pelicans to Celtics, January 12th; Celtics to Clippers, January 15th.
- Alexey Shved — Timberwolves to 76ers, August 23rd; 76ers to Rockets, December 29th
- Malcolm Thomas — Jazz to Cavaliers, July 22nd; Cavaliers to Celtics, September 25th.
- Brandan Wright — Mavericks to Celtics, December 18th; Celtics to Suns, January 9th.
* — Powell’s draft rights were traded from the Hornets to the Cavaliers on July 12th.