More than half the teams in the league took part in a whirlwind NBA trade deadline Thursday. A dozen trades involving 39 players and 17 teams took place. Eight teams made multiple trades, while Sixers GM Sam Hinkie and Suns GM Ryan McDonough were busiest, each pulling off three swaps. It brings to a close one of the busiest seasons for trades in memory, with 25 deals going down between the beginning of the regular season and the deadline.
The Heat’s trade for Goran Dragic, a three-team affair with the Suns and Pelicans, involved perhaps the most significant player who changed hands, though it has plenty of competition for that distinction. Detroit’s acquisition of Reggie Jackson and the three-team swap that saw Brandon Knight head to the Suns and Michael Carter-Williams go to the Bucks were landmark deals, too. Sentimentality, if nothing else, makes Minnesota’s trade for Kevin Garnett, who began his NBA career with the Timberwolves 20 years ago, another particularly noteworthy move.
Here’s a look at each trade that took place on deadline day:
- The Heat get Goran Dragic and Zoran Dragic.
- The Pelicans get Norris Cole, Shawne Williams, Justin Hamilton and $369K cash (from Miami).
- The Suns get John Salmons, Danny Granger, Miami’s 2017 first-round pick (top seven protected), Miami’s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, and $2.2MM cash (from Miami). Salmons was waived as part of the deal.
- The Pistons get Reggie Jackson.
- The Thunder get Enes Kanter, Steve Novak, D.J. Augustin, Kyle Singler and Detroit’s 2019 second-round pick.
- The Jazz get Kendrick Perkins, Grant Jerrett, the rights to Tibor Pleiss, Oklahoma City’s 2017 first-round pick (top-14 protected) and Detroit’s 2017 second-round pick.
- The Suns get Brandon Knight and Kendall Marshall. Marshall was waived as part of the deal.
- The Bucks get Michael Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee.
- The Sixers get the Lakers’ 2015 first-round pick (top-five protected).
- The Trail Blazers get Arron Afflalo and Alonzo Gee.
- The Nuggets get Will Barton, Victor Claver, Thomas Robinson, and a 2016 first-round pick (top-14 protected).
- The Celtics get Isaiah Thomas.
- The Suns get Marcus Thornton and Cleveland’s 2016 first-round pick (top-10 protected).
- The Rockets get K.J. McDaniels.
- The Sixers get Isaiah Canaan and the less favorable of Minnesota’s and Denver’s 2015 second-round picks.
- The Sixers get JaVale McGee, the rights to Chu Chu Maduabum and Oklahoma City’s 2015 first-round pick (top-18 protected).
- The Nuggets get Cenk Akyol.
- The Rockets get Pablo Prigioni.
- The Knicks get Alexey Shved, Houston’s 2017 second-round pick and Houston’s 2019 second-round pick.
- The Pelicans get Ish Smith, the rights to Latavious Williams, Philadelphia’s 2015 second-round pick (top-55 protected) and $801K cash. Smith was subsequently waived.
- The Thunder get the less favorable of Sacramento’s 2016 second-round pick (top-55 protected) and New Orleans’ 2016 second-round pick.