Pacers forward Chris Copeland was attacked outside of a New York nightclub earlier this week and suffered knife wounds to his abdomen and left elbow during the assault. The veteran underwent surgery and will miss the remainder of the season and the playoffs. Copeland’s contract is up at season’s end and the Pacers can make him a restricted free agent by tendering him a qualifying offer of $3,918,750.
Hawks swingman Thabo Sefolosha and center Pero Antic were arrested at the same location and charged with obstructing governmental administration, as they allegedly refused to move when police were setting up a crime scene. Sefolosha sustained a fractured fibula and ligament damage in his leg and he required surgery because of the incident. The swingman will miss the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs as a result.
Here’s the rest of the happenings from the week that was…
- Malcolm Thomas, who was waived by the Sixers earlier this season, has signed with Piratas de Quebradillas in Puerto Rico.
- The Nets signed Earl Clark to a two year deal.
- Avery Johnson reached an agreement to become the head coach at the University of Alabama.
- The Celtics signed Chris Babb to a multiyear contract and waived Shavlik Randolph.
- Will Bynum inked a deal with the Wizards that covers the remainder of the season.
- The Wolves signed Arinze Onuaku for the remainder of the season after being granted a hardship provision by the league.
- Jorge Gutierrez inked a multiyear deal with the Bucks.
- The Knicks signed Ricky Ledo for the remainder of the season.
2015 NBA Draft News
- Kentucky forward Karl-Anthony Towns, center Willie Cauley-Stein, forward Trey Lyles, shooting guard Devin Booker, center Dakari Johnson, combo guard Andrew Harrison and shooting guard Aaron Harrison are leaving school and entering the NBA draft.
- Duke freshman center Jahlil Okafor will enter the 2015 NBA draft.
- Gonzaga freshman Domantas Sabonis intends to return to Gonzaga for his sophomore season.
- Cameron Payne, a sophomore guard at Murray State, confirmed his intent to enter this year’s draft.
- UCLA freshman power forward Kevon Looney is entering the 2015 NBA draft.
- Arizona sophomore Rondae Hollis-Jefferson intends to enter the 2015 NBA draft.
- Georgetown junior shooting guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera withdrew his name from this year’s draft.
- Auburn senior guard Antoine Mason, the son of former NBA player Anthony Mason, signed a deal with agent Keith Glass.
- Maryland junior small forward Jake Layman will return to school for another season.
- Arizona junior power forward Brandon Ashley has reportedly decided to enter the draft.
- Duke freshman shooting guard Grayson Allen plans to stay out of the draft this year and return to school for his sophomore season
- Kansas freshman Cliff Alexander intends to enter this year’s NBA draft.
- San Diego State freshman forward Malik Pope will return to school for his sophomore season.
- Wisconsin junior small forward Sam Dekker has decided to leave school and enter the draft.
- UTEP sophomore power forward Vince Hunter is leaving school and entering the draft.
- North Carolina junior swingman J.P. Tokoto intends to enter this year’s NBA Draft.
- Manhattan junior forward Ashton Pankey plans to turn pro and enter this year’s NBA draft.
- Indiana sophomore forward Troy Williams intends to return to school for his junior season.
- The Nuggets claimed Shavlik Randolph off of waivers from the Celtics. Denver subsequently waived Randolph.
- Agent Kevin Bradbury is upset with Suns’ coach Jeff Hornacek‘s criticism of his client, Gerald Green, who is set to become a free agent this summer.
- Third parties connected to Tom Thibodeau have been exploring what his options would be if he and the Bulls were to part ways in the offseason, and the Magic are one of the teams they’ve reportedly investigated.
- All of the week’s NBA D-League assignments and recalls can be found here.
- Marco Belinelli will be a free agent at the end of season and it’s uncertain whether he will return to San Antonio next season.
- The Wolves’ Ricky Rubio will miss the remainder of the season because of a sore left ankle that he originally injured back on November 7th.
- Willie Green says he would like to remain with the Magic beyond this season. The guard is slated to become an unrestricted free agent after the season.
- The Cavs are interested in Real Madrid center Salah Mejri, whose contract has a team option for next season.
- Louis Amundson plans to play in Europe if the Knicks do not re-sign him this summer.
- The Cavs and the Raptors are expected to have interest this summer in signing restricted free agent Cory Joseph of the Spurs.
- Rockets power forward Donatas Motiejunas will miss the rest of the season and the playoffs with an injured back.