One of the last major offseason storylines involves the Cavaliers’ Brendan Haywood and his sizable non-guaranteed contract. Cleveland has been unsuccessful thus far in its attempts to find a trade partner willing to ship useful assets to the Cavs in return for the big man’s pact. The team has reportedly shifted gears and now is focused on flipping Haywood in a deal that creates a traded player exception prior to August 1st, when his contract becomes fully guaranteed, as is shown by our schedule of guarantee dates. The only teams currently possessing enough cap space to absorb Haywood and create a trade exception for Cleveland are the Trail Blazers and the Sixers, with the Jazz also a possibility, provided they trade or cut several players with non-guaranteed contracts prior to landing Haywood. While we await GM David Griffin‘s next move, here’s more from the week that was…
- The Rockets acquired Ty Lawson and a 2017 second-round pick from the Nuggets in exchange for Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni, Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson and a protected 2016 first-round pick. Lawson agreed to make the final season of his contract non-guaranteed as a part of the swap.
- The Pacers acquired the rights to rookie forward Rakeem Christmas from the Cavaliers in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick.
You can keep up with all of the offseason trades here.
Free Agent Signings
- Reggie Jackson re-signed with the Pistons.
- The Raptors agreed to a training camp deal with undrafted power forward Michale Kyser.
- Ronald Roberts signed with the Raptors.
- The Magic and Keith Appling agreed to a partially guaranteed two-year deal.
- Joel Anthony re-signed with the Pistons.
- The Pacers re-signed Rodney Stuckey.
- The Cavaliers agreed to a deal with Richard Jefferson.
- The Hornets signed Tyler Hansbrough.
- The Raptors signed a training camp pact with Michale Kyser.
- The Pistons inked Adonis Thomas to a training camp deal.
- The Bucks and Chris Copeland agreed to a one-year deal.
- The Celtics agreed to a training camp deal with Levi Randolph.
- The Hawks signed training camp deals with Lamar Patterson and Terran Petteway.
- The Raptors signed swingman Axel Toupane.
- The Knicks intend to sign undrafted forward Darion Atkins.
- The Knicks agreed to a deal with undrafted guard Wesley Saunders.
- The Pelicans re-signed unrestricted free agent Luke Babbitt.
- Manu Ginobili re-signed with the Spurs.
- The Kings signed a deal with undrafted Wisconsin forward Duje Dukan.
- The Mavs reached an agreement with John Jenkins.
- The Mavericks and center Jarrid Famous agreed to a one-year deal.
- Quincy Acy inked a deal with the Kings.
- The Rockets re-signed K.J. McDaniels.
- Jonathon Simmons inked a deal with the Spurs.
- The Pelicans agreed to a deal with unrestricted free agent Kendrick Perkins.
- Seth Curry signed a deal with the Kings.
- The Clippers agreed to sign Pablo Prigioni.
- The Spurs signed Jimmer Fredette to a training camp deal.
- The Kings signed Caron Butler.
- John Jenkins signed a deal with the Mavericks.
- The Mavericks signed undrafted forward Maurice Ndour.
- The Trail Blazers signed undrafted free agent Cliff Alexander.
- Phil Pressey inked a deal with the Blazers.
- The Mavericks signed center Jarrid Famous.
You can stay up to date on all of the signings with Hoops Rumors’ free agent tracker.
2015 NBA Draft Pick Signings
- The Pistons and No. 38 pick Darrun Hilliard signed a three-year deal.
- The Pistons signed No. 8 overall pick Stanley Johnson to a rookie scale deal.
- The Pacers inked Rakeem Christmas to a four-year pact.
- The Rockets signed Sam Dekker to a rookie scale deal.
You can stay up to date on all of the 2015 NBA Draft signings here.
- Guillermo Hernangomez, the 35th overall pick last month, will return to Real Madrid this coming season.
- The Nets promoted Steve Jones, the team’s manager of video operations, to assistant coach for player development.
- Aaron White, whom the Wizards drafted 49th overall last month, agreed to a deal with Telekom Baskets Bonn of Germany.
- Jared Dudley will miss approximately three or four months after undergoing surgery Tuesday to fix a herniated disk in his lower back.
- Celtics draftee Marcus Thornton signed a one-year pact with the Sydney Kings of Australia’s National Basketball League.
- The Warriors withdrew their $1,147,276 qualifying offer to Ognjen Kuzmic, making him an unrestricted free agent.
- Free agent Jeff Taylor agreed to a one-year deal with Real Madrid.
- Stephen Jackson retired from pro basketball.
- Two-year NBA veteran Nate Wolters signed with Besiktas of Turkey.