The Sixers signed veteran power forward Elton Brand this week in an effort to add some veteran leadership to the young team. “I’m not coming here to hold Jahlil [Okafor]’s hand — or anyone else’s, for that matter — because that’s not what he needs,” Brand noted about his decision to join Philadelphia. “But I do believe my experience and wisdom can benefit him and my other young teammates. It’s about communicating with them like men, starting to grow together, and — hopefully, eventually — winning some ballgames. That’s what [GM] Sam Hinkie and I talked about when he approached me about joining the team, and what has me so excited about this opportunity.”
Here’s more from the week that was…
- Nets point guard Jarrett Jack will miss the rest of the season because of a torn ACL and a small meniscus tear in his right knee. Brooklyn applied for a disabled player exception to compensate for the loss of Jack.
- Cavaliers reserve shooting guard Joe Harris underwent surgery to remove a bone in his right foot and he is expected to miss two to three months of action.
- The NBA suspended Rockets point guard Ty Lawson three games for the second of his two DUI arrests last year.
- Grizzlies shooting guard Jordan Adams is scheduled to undergo surgery on his right knee this Tuesday and there is currently no timetable for his return to action.
- Bo McCalebb, who was cut by the Pelicans during the preseason, signed with the French club Limoges CSP.
- The Grizzlies signed Elliot Williams to a 10-day contract.
- The Suns signed Lorenzo Brown to a 10-day contract.
- Dionte Christmas, whom the Cavaliers waived shortly before the season started, signed with the Greek club AEK Athens.
- The Sixers waived Christian Wood.
- The Jazz waived Elijah Millsap.
- The Nuggets waived Kostas Papanikolaou.
- The Suns waived Cory Jefferson.
- The Suns waived Bryce Cotton.
- The Grizzlies waived Ryan Hollins.
- Former NBA second-round pick Pierre Jackson signed with the D-League, where the Jazz affiliate holds his rights.
- Four-year NBA veteran Greg Smith, who played on the Mavs last season, signed with the D-League and will join the Raptors’ affiliate.
- The D-League affiliate of the Raptors acquired DeAndre Daniels, whom Toronto selected 37th overall in the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Eight-year NBA veteran Ryan Gomes signed with the D-League and was claimed by the Lakers’ affiliate.
- The Magic have begun work to have a D-League affiliate in Florida starting with the 2017/18 season.
You can stay up to date on all the D-League assignments and recalls for the season here.