Jazz combo guard Alec Burks underwent successful surgery on Wednesday to clean out debris in his left knee and ankle, the team announced. The 24-year-old is expected to be recovered in time for the start of training camp after averaging 13.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists in just 31 appearances this season. Burks, who still has three years and approximately $32.53MM remaining on the extension he inked in 2014, has struggled with injuries during his brief NBA career, also missing 55 games in 2014/15 due to shoulder woes.
Here’s more from the Northwest Division:
- The Thunder intend to hire Adrian Griffin as lead assistant to replace the departed Monty Williams on coach Billy Donovan‘s staff, Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports. Griffin served as an assistant coach on Scott Skiles‘ staff in Orlando this past season and was under consideration by the Magic to replace Skiles before Frank Vogel nabbed the post.
- Timberwolves coach/executive Tom Thibodeau was interested in adding Griffin to his staff but Oklahoma City was financially aggressive in its offer to the assistant, Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN relays (Twitter links). Griffin also met with Vogel, who was interested in keeping the coach in Orlando, Wolfson adds.
- In other coaching news, the Nuggets have elevated Micah Nori to an assistant coach on Michael Malone‘s staff, Christopher Dempsey of The Denver Post relays (Twitter link). Nori replaces Chris Fleming, who departed to joing the Nets’ coaching staff.
- The Jazz released the full roster of participants at the free agent mini-camp they are holding this week and some notable attendees include Adonis Thomas, Greg Stiemsma, C.J. Fair and Jordan Bachynski.
- The Nuggets hosted a private workout today for former Marquette big man Henry Ellenson, the team announced.