JULY 28, 12:46pm: The Cavaliers have officially re-signed Jefferson, the team announced today in a press release.
“RJ’s versatility on the court and leadership off it were core parts of our identity and success last year,” GM David Griffin said in a statement. “In many respects, his impact was greater as the stakes got higher. His NBA Finals performance is a testament to his dedicated, steady approach and his presence in our locker room throughout the year and postseason cannot be overstated. We’re very thankful he decided to continue his career and we know that his teammates appreciate what he brings to this team at a very deep level.”
JULY 6, 10:12pm: The contract will be worth $5MM over two seasons, Chris Mannix of The Vertical tweets.
9:59pm: The Cavaliers and veteran Richard Jefferson have agreed to a deal that will see the player remain in Cleveland, Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). It will be a two-year arrangement, according to the scribe, but the dollar amount is not yet known.
This certainly comes as a reversal for Jefferson, who told reporters that his career was done after the Cavs won the NBA Finals, adding that it was a “hell of a way to go out.” A few days later, the veteran forward admitted that his decision to retire was hardly set in stone, adding that his Cavaliers teammates were trying to talk him out of it, and that it was “still up for debate.”
Jefferson appeared in 74 games for Cleveland in 2015/16, averaging 5.5 points, 1.7 rebounds and 0.8 assists in 17.9 minutes per contest. The small forward shot .458/.382/.667 from the field on the campaign.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.