As we noted earlier today when we passed along an item about Boban Marjanovic‘s departure from the Spurs this summer, the new Pistons big man was the only restricted free agent to technically sign an offer sheet with another club this offseason and not have that offer matched by his previous team. In past years, teams with talented restricted free agents have often faced salary cap restrictions that made it difficult – or impossible – to retain that player, but due to this summer’s cap spike, those situations became much rarer.
Still, Marjanovic wasn’t the only restricted free agent to leave his previous franchise. In multiple cases, a team worked out a sign-and-trade deal to send an RFA to another club. Some teams also eventually decided they didn’t want to bring back an RFA, and withdrew their qualifying offers to those players.
Below, we break down 2016’s restricted free agent movement, with the help of our free agent tracker. Here’s how and where this year’s RFA’s signed:
Signed a new contract with their previous team:
- Bradley Beal (Wizards): Five years, max salary.
- Andre Drummond (Pistons): Five years, max salary.
- Evan Fournier (Magic): Five years, $85MM.
- Jordan Clarkson (Lakers): Four years, $50MM.
- Miles Plumlee (Bucks): Four years, $49.6MM.
- Meyers Leonard (Trail Blazers): Four years, $41MM.
- Maurice Harkless (Trail Blazers): Four years, $40MM.
- Dwight Powell (Mavericks): Four years, $37.269MM.
- Tyler Zeller (Celtics): Two years, $16MM
- Tarik Black (Lakers): Two years, $12.486MM.
- Marcelo Huertas (Lakers): Two years, $3.068MM.
Signed an offer sheet from rival team, which was matched by previous team:
- Allen Crabbe (Trail Blazers): Four years, $74.833MM (offer sheet from Nets).
- Tyler Johnson (Heat): Four years, $50MM (offer sheet from Nets).
Joined new team via offer sheet:
- Boban Marjanovic (Pistons): Three years, $21MM (Spurs didn’t match).
Joined new team via sign-and-trade:
- Matthew Dellavedova (Bucks): Four years, $38.43MM (traded by Cavaliers).
- Troy Daniels (Grizzlies): Three years, $10MM (traded by Hornets).
Had qualifying offer withdrawn, then re-signed with previous team as UFA:
- Tim Frazier (Pelicans): Two years, $4.09MM.
Had qualifying offer withdrawn, then signed with new team as UFA:
- Harrison Barnes (Mavericks): Four years, max salary (QO withdrawn by Warriors).
- Festus Ezeli (Trail Blazers): Two years, $15.133MM (QO withdrawn by Warriors).
- Langston Galloway (Pelicans): Two years, $10.634MM (QO withdrawn by Knicks).
- Seth Curry (Mavericks): Two years, $5.926MM (QO withdrawn by Kings).
- Dewayne Dedmon (Spurs): Two years, $5.926MM (QO withdrawn by Magic).
- Dion Waiters (Heat): Two years, $5.926MM (QO withdrawn by Thunder).
- Jared Sullinger (Raptors): One year, $5.628MM (QO withdrawn by Celtics).
- Markel Brown (Cavaliers): One year, non-guaranteed minimum salary (QO withdrawn by Nets).
Still unsigned (qualifying offer expired):
- Donatas Motiejunas (Rockets)