The Pacers made some big splashes on the trade market and in free agency a year ago, but the new-look roster didn’t take the step forward the team was hoping for. Heading into the 2017 offseason, Indiana finds itself in a tough spot, with the future of star forward Paul George – who has just one guaranteed year left on his contract – up in the air.
Here’s where things currently stand for the Pacers financially, as we kick off our Offseason Salary Cap Digest series for 2017:
- Paul George ($19,508,958)
- Thaddeus Young ($14,996,348)
- Monta Ellis ($11,227,000)
- Al Jefferson ($9,769,821)
- Lance Stephenson ($4,180,000)
- Myles Turner ($2,569,920)
- Georges Niang ($100,000) — Partial guarantee. Non-guaranteed portion noted below.1
- Rakeem Christmas ($50,000) — Partial guarantee. Non-guaranteed portion noted below.2
- Total: $62,402,047
- C.J. Miles ($4,772,675)
- Total: $4,772,675
- Lavoy Allen ($4,000,000)
- Total: $4,000,000
- Kevin Seraphin ($1,974,159)3
- Glenn Robinson III ($1,471,382)4
- Joe Young ($1,471,382)5
- Rakeem Christmas ($1,421,382) — Partial guarantee. Guaranteed portion noted above.2
- Georges Niang ($1,212,611) — Partial guarantee. Guaranteed portion noted above.1
- Total: $7,550,916
Restricted Free Agents
- Jeff Teague ($13,200,000) — UFA
- C.J. Miles ($8,708,555) — If player option is declined
- Lavoy Allen ($7,600,000) — If team option is declined
- Aaron Brooks ($3,240,000) — UFA
- No. 18 overall pick ($2,028,360)
- Total: $34,776,915
Projected Salary Cap: $101,000,000
Maximum Cap Room: $32,491,518
- If the Pacers were to waive all their players on non-guaranteed salaries, decline their team option on Allen, have Miles turn down his player option, and renounce their UFAs, they would have $64,430,407 on their cap for seven roster spots (six guaranteed salaries and a first-round pick). The team would also have to account for five minimum-salary roster charges for empty roster spots. The total on their books in that scenario would be $68,508,482.
- Niang’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after either July 1 or July 15 (conflicting information available).
- Christmas’ salary becomes fully guaranteed after either July 1 or August 1 (conflicting information available).
- Seraphin’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after August 1.
- Robinson’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 1.
- Young’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 1.