Nets Sign Williams, Egbunu; May Add Thomas

2:53pm: The Nets’ deal with Williams is now official, the team confirmed in a press release. The club also announced that it has signed former Florida center John Egbunu, whose deal was first reported by Brian Lewis of The New York Post (Twitter link). Egbunu looks like a candidate to ultimately land with the Long Island Nets in the G League.

Brooklyn now has 19 players officially under contract.

2:45pm: Former Clippers and Timberwolves shooting guard C.J. Williams has reached an agreement to sign with the Nets, league sources tell Nicola Lupo of Sportando. Confirming the deal, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets that Williams will receive a non-guaranteed contract.

Williams, 29, made his NBA debut with the Clippers in 2017/18, then spent last season on a two-way contract with Minnesota. In total, he has appeared in 53 regular season contests, averaging 4.7 PPG on .448/.287/.765 shooting in 15.8 minutes per game.

Charania first identified Williams earlier this week as a candidate to sign with the Nets, who are looking to fill out their 20-man roster. In that report, Charania noted that Lance Thomas is in the mix to join Brooklyn’s roster too, and that idea appears to be gaining steam.

Marc Berman of The New York Post hears from a league source that the Nets are “seriously eyeing” Thomas, while Greg Logan of Newsday confirms (via Twitter) that the veteran forward has worked out for the team. According to Charania, Brooklyn is making progress on a deal to sign Thomas.

Currently, the Nets have 17 players under contract, so if they make it official with Williams and sign Thomas as well, they’d have just one opening left on their 20-man offseason roster. It remains to be seen whether the team intends to bring unsigned second-round pick Jaylen Hands to camp.

Although Williams is unlikely to earn a spot on the Nets’ regular season roster, since the club has 15 players with fully guaranteed salaries, he or another camp invitee could be re-signed five games into the regular season. At that point, Brooklyn will be able to open up an extra roster spot by moving Wilson Chandler to the suspended list for the next 20 games.

Markelle Fultz Expected To Fully Participate In Camp

The Magic will begin their training camp next Tuesday, and point guard Markelle Fultz is expected to be a full participant, president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman said today, per Josh Robbins of The Athletic (Twitter link).

Fultz, the first overall pick in the 2017 draft, last played in an NBA game in November 2018 and hasn’t suited up for a single game for the Magic since being acquired by the team at last season’s deadline. While Fultz is hesitant to say that his health issues – diagnosed as thoracic outlet syndrome – are completely healed, he has recovered to the point where he shouldn’t face any restrictions in camp, writes Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press.

While Fultz is healthy enough to participate in training camp, it’s not clear whether he’ll suit up for Orlando’s preseason games or if he’ll be able to play regular minutes to start the season. That may depend on how he looks in camp.

“We’re going to remain patient,” Weltman said, per Reynolds. “We’re not going to put expectations or timelines on his development. He hasn’t played basketball in a year. He’s played 33 games total in his career. So it’s going to unfold the way it unfolds.”

[RELATED: Magic exercise 2020/21 option on Markelle Fultz]

As Roy Parry of The Orlando Sentinel relays (via Twitter), Fultz couldn’t point to a specific point when he felt as if he was back to normal, but he kept seeing more shots go on with less pain as he shot them, which was a turning point. With his game coming back, the 21-year-old is confident that he can make an impact on the court for the Magic.

“I was the No. 1 pick for a reason,” Fultz said today, according to Reynolds. “I knew that I work hard and what I can do on the basketball court. That’s all that matters.”

Celtics Unlikely To Extend Jaylen Brown Before Season

The Celtics have until the evening of October 21 – the day before the NBA’s regular season begins – to finalize a rookie scale extension with young swingman Jaylen Brown and keep him off the 2020 restricted free agent market. However, a league source tells Sean Deveney of Heavy.com that the chances of the two sides agreeing to a new deal by next month’s deadline look “pretty slim.”

So far this offseason, three rookie scale extensions have been completed. Jamal Murray and Ben Simmons signed maximum-salary deals projected to be worth at least $168MM over five years. Caris LeVert, meanwhile, signed a three-year, $52MM extension with Brooklyn.

[RELATED: Players Eligible For Rookie Scale Extensions]

Presumably, if the Celtics and Brown were to reach a deal, it would come in somewhere between those two figures, but that gap is a substantial one. The C’s may look at Brown’s and LeVert’s 2018/19 numbers and argue that Brown’s next contract should be closer to LeVert’s range. Brown’s camp, on the other hand, believes his upside warrants a deal closer to what Murray and Simmons got, writes Deveney.

As Deveney points out, the Celtics haven’t exhibited an eagerness in recent years to lock up rookie scale extension candidates, preferring to let those players reach restricted free agency. None of the team’s first-round picks between 2012-15 – Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart, and Terry Rozier – inked extensions prior to free agency.

Even if the Celtics push harder to extend Brown, he has some incentive to wait on a new deal if Boston doesn’t meet his asking price. 2020’s free agent class is expected to be especially weak, so a big 2019/20 could put the 22-year-old in position for a huge payday.

[RELATED: Jaylen Brown’s Stock On The Rise]

“It only takes one team to think he is a max player and then he is a max player,” one NBA executive told Deveney. “You don’t see a lot of max deals in restricted free agency and the Celtics can match, so it’s still something that can work in their favor. But there will be teams with money next summer and making an offer for a guy his age, with his best basketball in front of him, makes sense.”

Timberwolves Hire Joe Branch As Assistant GM

SEPTEMBER 25: The Timberwolves have officially named Branch an assistant GM, the team announced today in a press release.

“Joe is a talented individual with great experience and exciting potential,” president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas said in a statement. “He brings a different perspective and skill set from his experiences as a player agent and sports executive which aligns with our philosophy of adding talent with diverse backgrounds to our front office. We look forward to him joining our front office staff and contributing at a high level.”

SEPTEMBER 10: The Timberwolves are making another addition to their new-look front office, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who reports (via Twitter) that the team is hiring Roc Nation agent Joe Branch as an assistant general manager.

Branch, who has also previously worked for the NBA’s league office, represented clients like Caris LeVert, Justise Winslow, and Josh Hart. He recently helped finalize a three-year extension for LeVert in Brooklyn, clearing the way for him to accept a front office role in Minnesota, as Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic notes (via Twitter).

After hiring Gersson Rosas as their new president of basketball operations in the spring, the Wolves have made several more changes to their management group in recent months. Former Pistons executive Sachin Gupta joined the Wolves as their executive VP of basketball operations, while former Nets exec Gianluca Pascucci also came aboard as an assistant GM.

As Darren Wolfson of SKOR North tweets, the hiring of Branch will further diminish the role of former Wolves GM Scott Layden. Wolfson recently heard from owner Glen Taylor that Layden will primarily focus on scouting this season and will be based out of New York rather than Minnesota.

Wizards Sign, Waive Kellen Dunham

The Wizards signed shooting guard Kellen Dunham to a contract on Tuesday, but waived him shortly thereafter, according to a pair of NBA transaction logs. RealGM lists Dunham’s signing, while NBA.com notes that he was released.

Dunham, who played his college ball at Butler, went undrafted in 2016 and has bounced around between the G League and international leagues since then. His NBAGL rights were acquired by the Capital City Go-Go – Washington’s affiliate – in 2018’s expansion draft, and he spent the entire 2018/19 season with the club, averaging 7.8 PPG with a .454 3PT% in 50 games off the bench.

It appears likely that Dunham will return to the Go-Go for the 2019/20 season. When he does, he should be in line for a bonus worth up to $50K as a result of being signed on Tuesday.

An Exhibit 10 contract entitles a player to that bonus if he goes on to spend two months on his team’s G League roster — even if he was on the NBA roster for less than 24 hours before being released, as was the case with Dunham.

Wizards Pick Up 2020/21 Options On Brown, Wagner

Another team has got its 2020/21 rookie scale team option decisions out of the way well in advance of the October 31 deadline, as Fred Katz of The Athletic reports (via Twitter) that the Wizards have exercised their third-year options on both Troy Brown and Moritz Wagner.

The 15th overall pick in the 2018 draft, Brown will now have a fully guaranteed cap hit of $3,372,840 for the 2020/21 season. Washington also locked in a $2,161,920 cap charge in ’20/21 for Wagner, who was drafted 25th overall in 2018. The Wizards will have to make decisions on fourth-year options for 2021/22 on both players by October 31, 2020.

Brown, 20, appeared in 52 games in his rookie season, averaging 4.8 PPG and 2.8 RPG in 14.0 minutes per contest for the Wizards. He’s expected to play a more significant role going forward, but he’s currently dealing with a left calf strain that may jeopardize his availability for opening night.

Wagner, 22, spent his rookie year with the Lakers, averaging 4.8 PPG and 2.0 RPG in 43 games (10.4 MPG). He arrived in Washington along with Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones as part of the blockbuster three-team trade that saw Anthony Davis land in Los Angeles.

We’re tracking all of this year’s decisions on 2020/21 rookie scale options right here.

Bulls Sign Perrion Callandret

The Bulls have signed former Idaho guard Perrion Callandret to a contract, according to RealGM’s transactions log. Callandret published a photo on Instagram on Tuesday that showed him putting pen to paper.

Callandret, who went undrafted out of Idaho a year ago, averaged 9.6 PPG, 3.4 RPG, and 3.0 APG on .440/.407/.667 shooting during his final college season in 2017/18.

The 24-year-old is close with Bulls guard Zach LaVine, who reportedly asked Chicago to consider Callandret for a spot on their Summer League roster earlier this year. The Bulls did end up taking Callandret to Las Vegas, where he appeared in four Summer League games for the club. Now, he has signed his first NBA contract with the team.

Callandret is unlikely to earn a spot on Chicago’s regular season roster, but the fact that the Bulls were willing to sign him to an NBA contract suggests they may want him on their G League roster this season. Assuming his deal is an Exhibit 10 contract, he’d be eligible for a bonus of up to $50K if he’s waived by Chicago and then spends at least two months with the Windy City Bulls.

Cavs Sign Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Cut Alex Robinson

The Cavaliers have made a change to their 20-man offseason roster, signing former first-round pick Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot and waiving Alex Robinson to create the necessary roster spot. Joe Vardon of The Athletic first reported (via Twitter) the Cavs’ agreement with Luwawu-Cabarrot, while RealGM’s transactions log confirms both moves are official.

The 24th overall pick in the 2016 draft, Luwawu-Cabarrot spent his first two seasons in Philadelphia before being traded from the Sixers to the Thunder in the Dennis Schroder three-team trade in July 2018. After suiting up for Oklahoma City for the first half of 2018/19, the 24-year-old forward was traded again to Chicago in February.

In 171 total games for his three NBA teams, TLC has averaged 5.7 PPG and 1.9 RPG with a .387/.320/.820 shooting line. While he has yet to develop into a fully reliable NBA rotation player, he’ll get a chance to compete for a roster spot on the rebuilding Cavs, who only have 13 players on guaranteed contracts.

As for Robinson, he may be ticketed for the Canton Charge as an affiliate player unless another team scoops him up before the season begins. The undrafted guard out of TCU would be eligible for a bonus of up to $50K if he spends two months in the G League with the Charge.

Suns Sign Norense Odiase

SEPTEMBER 25: The Suns have officially signed Odiase, according to RealGM’s log of NBA transactions.

SEPTEMBER 24: The Suns have reached an agreement to sign rookie forward/center Norense Odiase to a training camp contract, a league source tells JD Shaw of Hoops Rumors (Twitter link).

Odiase, who played his college ball at Texas Tech, went undrafted in the spring after averaging 4.2 PPG, 5.4 RPG, and 0.9 BPG in 37 games (17.4 MPG) as a redshirt senior.

Odiase is on track to become the second member of the Red Raiders team that competed in the 2019 NCAA national championship game to join the Suns for training camp. Phoenix previously signed Tariq Owens to an Exhibit 10 contract.

The Suns currently have 18 players under contract, including 15 with guaranteed salaries. Owens and David Kramer are on non-guaranteed deals, while Jared Harper has a two-way contract. After officially signing Odiase, Phoenix will have one final opening on its 20-man camp roster.

Spurs Waive Jeff Ledbetter

The Spurs have opened up a spot on their 20-man offseason roster, waiving recently-signed guard Jeff Ledbetter, sources tell JD Shaw of Hoops Rumors (Twitter link). Ledbetter initially inked an Exhibit 10 contract with San Antonio on September 12.

Ledbetter, 31, is an Idaho product primarily known for his marksmanship from long range. He has spent the last three seasons with San Antonio’s G League affiliate, the Austin Spurs, but did leave the team early last season to play in Mexico. In 101 career NBAGL games, Ledbetter has posted a respectable stat line of 11.0 PPG, 2.6 RPG, and 3.2 APG with a .395 3PT%.

It appears the Spurs’ deal with Ledbetter was specifically designed to get him a bonus as a reward for his work in Austin, rather than to attend training camp with San Antonio. Players who sign Exhibit 10 deals are eligible for bonuses worth up to $50K if they spend two months with that team’s G League affiliate after being released.

The Spurs now have 19 players under contract.

Clark Crum contributed to this post.