The list of important in-season dates and deadlines for 2020/21 may look a little off for hardcore NBA fans.
For instance, you’ve grown accustomed to the fact that teams are permitted to start signing players to 10-day contracts on January 5 during a typical league year, you’ll have to adjust your thinking to accommodate for the league’s revamped ’20/21 schedule. This year, February 23 is the first day that 10-day deals can be signed.
We’re here to help provide the rescheduled dates for those usual in-season deadlines. Here’s a breakdown of the dates, deadlines, and events that will influence player movement for the next several months across the NBA:
- Deadline for teams to exercise rookie scale options for 2021/22.
- Priority order for waiver claims is now based on 2020/21 record, rather than 2019/20 record (as of March 11). Teams with the worst records receive the highest waiver priority.
- NBA G League training camps begin (tentative date).
- Most offseason signees become eligible for inclusion in trades.
- NBA G League season begins (tentative date).
- First day teams can sign players to 10-day contracts.
- Last day to waive non-guaranteed NBA contracts before they become guaranteed for the rest of the season. Salaries officially guarantee on February 27 if players haven’t cleared waivers before that date.
- Most other offseason signees become eligible for inclusion in trades.
- Last day to apply for a disabled player exception.
- First half of NBA regular season ends.
- NBA G League playoffs begin (tentative date).
- NBA All-Star break.
- Second half of NBA regular season begins.
- Former first-round picks who were stashed overseas may sign rookie scale NBA contracts for the 2021/22 season.
- Trade deadline (2:00pm CT).
- Last day for contract renegotiations.
- Last day a player can be waived by one team and remain eligible to appear in the postseason for another team.
- Last day for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet.
- Last day to use a disabled player exception.
- Last day of the NBA regular season.
- Last day players can sign contracts for 2020/21
- Last day two-way contracts can be converted to standard NBA contracts.
- Luxury tax penalties calculated based on payroll as of this day.
- Play-in tournament for seventh and eighth playoff seeds in each conference.
- NBA playoffs begin.