The Warriors got their most pressing bit of offseason business done early when they extended head coach Steve Kerr for two more years. Now, their focus will turn to shaping a more competitive version of the roster.

General manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. previously expressed confidence in the roster the team put out this year from a talent standpoint. That could mean that improvements will be more in the form of marginal adjustments, rather than wholesale changes.

There’s a 70% chance of Draymond Green returning next season, The Athletic’s Nick Fridell predicts within a preview of who could be on the move. He gives Al Horford a 65% chance of remaining with the Warriors and suggests there’s a 50/50 chance that Kristaps Porzingis is back. Lowest on Friedell’s list is soon-to-be third-year center Quinten Post (15%). Post has gotten a number of opportunities, but he fell out of the rotation at times and his status will likely depend on what happens with Horford and Porzingis.

While the big names at the top of the depth chart might not change much this summer, Kerr and the team know that this marks a transition point for the organization, Dalton Johnson writes for NBC Sports Bay Area.

We can’t legitimately look at our roster, look at our injuries, look at the Spurs, at OKC and Minnesota — we can’t sit here and say we are a championship contender right now,” Kerr said. “This is going to require some personnel moves. It’s going to require rethinking how we’re operating. … There’s a lot to fix this summer, and before we can even begin to talk about playoffs and championships, we’ve got a big challenge ahead, and we’re excited about it.”

We have more on the Warriors:

  • Game 1 between the Thunder and Spurs was a clear message of what the Warriors need to focus on adding this offseason: namely, dynamic athleticism, Johnson writes. Dunleavy is aware of the team’s deficiencies in that regard, especially with Jimmy Butler and Moses Moody expected to miss a portion of the season while recovering from major injuries. “That’s a huge hole in generally your most athletic position,” he said. “We’ll always look to add athletically — length, size, skill, all those things. But, watching the playoffs, you learn a lot. You see the teams where they’re at, where you need to go, and it’s good to see.” Dunleavy also wants to prioritize players who take care of the ball and don’t turn it over.
  • Golden State hosted a pre-draft workout on Wednesday, the team announced (via Twitter). The group included Maliq Brown (Duke), Ryan Conwell (Louisville), Ja’Kobi Gillespie (Tennessee), Robert McCray V (Florida State), Emanuel Sharp (Houston), and Ernest Udeh (Miami). The Warriors have the 11th and 54th in the 2026 draft. The players who worked out on Wednesday are potential second-round targets.
  • Warriors two-way restricted free agent Taran Armstrong has signed a two-year deal with the Tasmania JackJumpers, per ESPN’s Olgun Uluc (Twitter link). The second year of the deal is a player option. Armstrong spent this past season with a loaded Dubai team featuring Davis Bertans, Dwayne Bacon, Matt Ryan, and other former NBA players, averaging 2.9 points in 15.9 minutes per game. Before that, he played for the Cairns Taipans in Australia’s NBL, where he averaged 17.1 points and 4.7 assists per game. The Australian guard never actually appeared in a regular season game for Golden State, but finished the 2024/25 season on a two-way deal with the Warriors and was tendered a qualifying offer last offseason, allowing the Warriors to retain his RFA rights.
View Comments (2)