Celtics Rumors

Odds & Ends: Pekovic, Adelman, Johnson, Sixers

Timberwolves president of basketball ops Flip Saunders remains optimistic that the club will soon re-sign Nikola Pekovic, and tells Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune that he's trying to explain the thought process behind the team's offer to the big man and his camp. Saunders stopped short of confirming that coach Rick Adelman will be back for this coming season, but echoed owner Glen Taylor's comments from last month, saying that he's optimstic that Adelman will return. There's more from Minnesota and other NBA locales in tonight's roundup:

Odds & Ends: Oden, Thunder, Clippers

The Heat, Spurs and Mavs are the most likely to land Greg Oden when he makes his decision Friday, sources tell Jeff Goodman and Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Goodman and Stein are hearing conflicting information on whether the Pelicans, Kings and Hawks remain in the running, but it appears New Orleans has the best chance out of those three. The Cavs, Celtics and Grizzlies have also expressed interest, but they declined to make formal offers, the report also says. Here's more on Oden and others around the Association:

  • Whichever team signs Oden once he makes his decision tomorrow won't be committing more than a few million dollars, leading HoopsWorld's Alex Kennedy to argue that he's worth the risk. Taking such risks is what shrewd GM's do, SB Nation's Tom Ziller opines.
  • The league is reimbursing the Thunder $8MM, or roughly half of the difference between the money the team is shelling out for Kevin Durant and the smaller amount the Thunder agreed to pay when he signed his extension, Grantland's Zach Lowe tweets.
  • The ESPN.com staff is high on the Clippers, as Chad Ford gives them the only A+ among his Western Conference offseason grades (Insiders only), while the 5-on-5 crew lauds the team's acquisitions of coach Doc Rivers and sharpshooter Jared Dudley.
  • HoopsWorld's Nate Duncan profiles six players whom teams may have undervalued this summer.

Zwerling On Knicks, Ivan Johnson, Humphries

Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com has tweeted a string of updates on the Knicks today, as we've noted in a pair of posts. Marc Berman of the New York Post delivered plenty more on the Knicks earlier today, and this evening Zwerling delivers a full story on the latest from New York. We'll hit the highlights from Zwerling's piece here:

  • The Knicks and Ivan Johnson are discussing a potential deal. The former Hawks power forward had been holding out for a team to commit its mini mid-level exception to him, but his interest in the Knicks, who can only offer the minimum, indicates that his price may have come down.
  • The Knicks' interest in Kris Humphries is mutual, but the Celtics are still unlikely to buy him out.
  • Other big men the Knicks are considering include Cole Aldrich, Hamed Haddadi, Jerome Jordan, Gani Lawal, Shavlik Randolph and Henry Sims.
  • The Knicks remain interested in Beno Udrih and Bobby Brown, but Zwerling confirms Berman's report that the team is no longer looking at Delonte West.
  • Berman wrote that the Knicks are expected to invite Toure Murry to training camp, and Zwerling hears that the team will do the same with "a few young developmental point guards."

Atlantic Rumors: Iverson, Pargo, Williams, West

Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reported last week that Celtics second-round pick Colton Iverson had agreed to a deal with Besiktas of Turkey, but today Washburn tweets that Boston's release of Shavlik Randolph could clear the way for Iverson to join the Celtics this season. The C's would have to open up another roster space, as Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times points out (via Twitter), but Washburn says the team plans additional moves and needs big men (Twitter link). They're not the only Atlantic Division team looking to add to its roster, as we detail:

Celtics Release Shavlik Randolph

6:01pm: The team officially confirmed the move, via press release.

4:48pm: The Celtics have informed Shavlik Randolph that they won't be picking up his team option, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com (via Twitter). Randolph's contract doesn't technically include a team option, but his 2013/14 salary is non-guaranteed, which amounts to the same thing. That salary was set to become fully guaranteed if the big man remained on Boston's roster beyond today.

Randolph, 29, inked a pair of 10-day deals with the Celtics in 2012/13 before signing with the team for the remainder of the season, as our 10-day contract tracker shows. The former Duke Blue Devil appeared in 16 contests for Boston, averaging 4.2 PPG and 4.4 RPG. He'll become an unrestricted free agent, assuming no team claims him on waivers.

By cutting Randolph, the Celtics will reduce their roster count to 15 players, the maximum amount a team can carry during the regular season.

Eastern Notes: Wall, Monroe, Sixers, Humphries

Let's round up a few Thursday items from around the Eastern Conference….

  • John Wall's five-year extension with the Wizards is fully guaranteed, with no player or team options involved, tweets J. Michael of CSNWashington.com. Wall spoke to Monumental Sports Network about his new deal, and the additional pressure it will put on him over the next few years.
  • According to Grantland's Zach Lowe, the Pistons don't seem overly enthusiastic about signing Greg Monroe to a maximum-salary extension. If the team "falls in love" with a frontline of Josh Smith and Andre Drummond, Monroe could be dangled at some point, Lowe suggests.
  • Monroe, Paul George, and Larry Sanders are among the Eastern players who could follow in Wall's footsteps and sign lucrative long-term extensions this offseason, as Yannis Koutroupis of HoopsWorld writes.
  • Spurs assistant Brett Brown continues to be a frontrunner for the Sixers' head coaching job, according to Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via Twitter). A report last month indicated Philadelphia would likely choose between Michael Curry and Brown, who Pompey calls "the preferred candidate."
  • The Knicks would be interested in Kris Humphries if he's bought out by the Celtics, but that appears unlikely at this point, says Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com (via Twitter).
  • The Hawks have yet to make a final decision on where Lucas Nogueira will play next season, but it still looks as if he'll return to Spain, tweets Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
  • Brett Koremenos of Grantland speculates that if Gigi Datome has success with the Pistons, it could inspire other NBA teams to look more closely to Europe for inexpensive outside shooters.

Odds & Ends: Scola, Celtics, Heat, Suns

While Jason Kidd shocked everyone by becoming the head coach of the Nets just weeks after retiring, his co-Rookie of the Year in 1994/95 is going to go down a more conventional path.  Grant Hill told Johnny Esfeller of IMG Academy that he is looking into a career in broadcasting and speaking with some of the major networks out there.  The charasmatic and thoughtful Hill should make for a natural on TV, whether he's on color commentary or a studio analyst.  Here's tonight's look around the Association..

  • The Pacers' acquisition of Luis Scola makes them an even bigger threat to the Heat, opines Bill Ingram of HoopsWorld.  Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard noted that Scola isn't just a strong basketball addition, but he should also be a great fit for Indiana's locker room.
  • If Rajon Rondo is not ready to go at the beginning of the 2013/14 season, it's possible that the Celtics could slide undrafted rookie Phil Pressey into the starting role as he's the only other point guard on the roster, writes Marc D'Amico of Celtics.com.  However, Boston also has two other players on its roster in Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee who can handle the one-guard duties in short order and there's even a chance that Rondo will be in action for opening night.
  • The Heat know that the rest of the Eastern conference is quickly catching up them, writes Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press.
  • The additions of Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee fit the Suns' offseason goal of increasing athleticism across the roster, writes Matt Petersen of Suns.com.  

Rivers On Pierce & Garnett’s Chances With Nets

The Celtics sent Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and GM Billy King a gift-wrapped invitation to the Eastern Conference elite by dealing Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to Brooklyn. Before the mammoth trade went down, though, Doc Rivers was trying to get his two former players to join him with the Clippers.

Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe spoke with the new Clippers head coach to ask him about how his former players will do with the Nets and rookie head coach Jason Kidd. Pierce turns 36 in October and Garnett turned 37 in May, so many are wondering how much they have left for a possible Nets title run. 

On whether he's given any thought to his Clippers playing the Nets:

"I hadn't thought about the Brooklyn part of it. That's the first time I've been asked that question. I don't know, that's going to be strange. I get very emotional whenever I talk about Kevin and Paul. To see them somewhere else, our business sometimes it's tough. I leave (Boston) and people get upset at me and I don't think there's a lot of difference in their case but it was obvious the Celtics decided to move on.

"So Paul and Kevin had to go and that's a tough part of the business. But that will be strange for me, I want them to do well. For a lot of reasons I want them to do well, they could knock off Miami. But it will be interesting. It will be a while different feeling."

On what sort of role Garnett and Pierce will play for the Nets next season:

"I think obviously Paul's younger and in tune to play more minutes than Kevin. But I think they're still at the top of their games. I think Paul is still one of those guys who can go off for big nights and still have big scoring nights. Kevin is a culture change. He won't play but 20 to 25 minutes a night and there'll probably be nights when he doesn't play but his presence there alone will absolutely change the culture of Brooklyn. There's no doubt about it. I think for some of the young guys, even some of the veteran stars, Joe Johnson and Deron Williams, will learn and understand what a winner is and looks like and professionalism and being prepared.

"That's what I was most impressed with Kevin, how every game he prepared himself for games. That's what I told our young guys that I just wanted them to watch him prepare for games. It was why he was so consistent. I thought it was that important."

On how rookie coach Jason Kidd will dole out minutes for Garnett and how assistant coach, Lawrence Frank, will help:

"I think Jason [Kidd] will be fantastic in that because he probably when through that a little bit himself last year He'll be able to relate to that 100 percent. I think Lawrence Frank will be so important for Jason as well. You think about Lawrence, he worked with (the Celtics) staff, so he's worked with Kevin and he's knows Kevin as well as anybody. So I think that combination will be great for Kevin."

Eastern Notes: Price, Magic, Antic, Raptors, C’s

Ronnie Price's minimum-salary contract with the Magic was originally reported as a one-year deal, but in his latest update of the team's books at ShamSports.com, Mark Deeks notes that Price will actually be locked up for two years. The second season will be non-guaranteed, with Orlando having the chance to avoid Price's cap hit if he's released on or before July 10th, 2014. Here are more Magic notes, more contract details from Deeks, and more items from around the Eastern Conference:

  • While it's been a fairly quiet offseason for the Magic, the team still needs to resolve a few outstanding issues, says Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel. Among Robbins' tidbits: The team is making sure there are no possible trades involving Hedo Turkoglu and Al Harrington before getting serious about buyouts; the club's $17.8MM Dwight Howard trade exception will likely go unused; and the Magic were never as interested in Eric Bledsoe as various reports suggested.
  • Pero Antic's contract with the Hawks is worth a guaranteed $1.2MM for 2013/14 and a non-guaranteed $1.25MM in '14/15, notes Deeks.
  • In his latest update of the Raptors' salaries, Deeks points out that the second and third years of Quentin Richardson's new contract with Toronto will become guaranteed if he's not waived by January 1st, 2014. In other words, there's no chance that Richardson sticks on the team's roster all season. The Raps will likely release the veteran prior to opening night.
  • J. Michael of CSNWashington.com explores a few possible options for the Wizards' 15th roster spot.
  • New Celtics head coach Brad Stevens appeared on WEEI's Green Street podcast, and provided plenty of interesting quotes on a variety of Celtics-related topics. Ben Rohrbach of WEEI.com passes along the highlights.

International Notes: Celtics, Calathes, Goudelock

After publishing a pair of posts yesterday rounding up the latest international updates on current, past, or future NBA players, we have a few more items of note today, including a follow-up on yesterday's Colton Iverson report. Here are this afternoon's international notes:

  • There were conflicting reports yesterday on whether or not Iverson was heading overseas, but Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe writes that the Celtics second-rounder has agreed to a deal with Besiktas of the Turkish League. It's a two-year contract with an NBA out after the first season, says Washburn.
  • According to a report from RSport.ru (English translation via Sportando), Nick Calathes has informed Lokomotiv Kuban that he would like to come to the NBA for the 2013/14 season. The Russian club still hopes to hang on to Calathes, who would need to be bought out of his deal in order to join the Grizzlies.
  • Ex-Laker Andrew Goudelock has signed a one-year contract with Russian club Unics Kazan, the team announced today (Twitter link). Goudelock was last season's D-League MVP and played well for the Bulls in this year's Summer League, so it seemed as if there would have been NBA opportunities available for him. However, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News (via Twitter), Goudelock had yet to receive a guaranteed contract offer from an NBA team, prompting him to head overseas.